Simplifying a differentiation problem

In summary, the original equation simplifies to 3x + 2x^-1/2 using the quotient and power rules. The confusion may have been due to the use of the chain rule and laws of exponents, but ultimately the terms can be divided and the exponents subtracted to get the simplified form.
fk378

Homework Statement

[3x^2 + 2(sqrt x)] / x

My book says it simplified it to:

3x + 2x ^-1/2I understand the 3x part since 3x^2/x = 3x
But where did the second part come from? I tried to make sense with the power rule but it still doesn't seem clear to me. Anyone get it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fk378 said:
[[3x^2 + 2(sqrt 2)] / x

My book says it simplified it to:

3x + 2x ^-1/2

Is this supposed to be [[3x^2 + 2(sqrt x)] / x ?

Then it would make sense.

Yes you're right. Can you explain it?

There's a formula for simplying derivitives that look like big fractions like yours... i forget the name but the way it goes was: "((bottom) * derivitive[of the top] - (top)*derivitive[of the bottom])) over the bottom squared)"

like this:

(bottom * deriv[top]) - (top * deriv[bottom])
---------------------------------------------
(bottom)^2

that and square root is same as x^(1/2) power and just apply the chain rule i think it's called which makes it 1/(2*sqrt(x)).
whats important is it's different for this: (3x)^(1/2) which becomes (1/(2*sqrt(x)) * derivitive of (3x).

on side note: if you don't have a ti89, get one. it does calculus and is extremely helpful in checking calculus homework and understanding why certain things differentiate the way they do.

So this is at the end of the problem? Distribute the division: (a+b)/c = a/c + b/c
Remember that sqrt(x) = x^1/2

Yes I know the quotient rule and power rule, but I don't see how the first equation was simplified.

turdferguson said:
So this is at the end of the problem? Distribute the division: (a+b)/c = a/c + b/c
Remember that sqrt(x) = x^1/2

There isn't a common factor in the original equation, though...

I'm confused on what you think you are doing. Are you trying to differentiate the above expression, or just simplifying it? If you are just simplifying, you just divide the terms. No calculus involved in this step.
So for the second term you have [tex]\frac{2\sqrt{x}}{x}[/tex], which is the same as [tex]\frac{2{x}^\frac{1}{2}}{x}[/tex]
Do you know your laws of exponents?

hage567 said:
I'm confused on what you think you are doing. Are you trying to differentiate the above expression, or just simplifying it? If you are just simplifying, you just divide the terms. No calculus involved in this step.
So for the second term you have [tex]\frac{2\sqrt{x}}{x}[/tex], which is the same as [tex]\frac{2{x}^\frac{1}{2}}{x}[/tex]
Do you know your laws of exponents?

The book is saying that 2(sqrt 2) / x is the same as 2x^-1/2
so while I did get the same answer as you, it apparently is not right according to the book.

The book is saying that 2(sqrt 2) / x is the same as 2x^-1/2

It is! [tex]\frac{2{x}^\frac{1}{2}}{x} = 2x^{\frac{1}{2}-1} = 2x^\frac{-1}{2}[/tex]

When dividing, you subtract the exponents.

I hope I'm understanding what you're asking.

Oh I see it now...wow what a brain fart...anyways, thank you for explaining it to me clearly and in a nice manner.

lol you're welcome.

1. What is the purpose of simplifying a differentiation problem?

The purpose of simplifying a differentiation problem is to make it easier to solve. By reducing the complexity of the problem, it becomes more manageable and can be solved more efficiently.

2. How do I know when a differentiation problem needs to be simplified?

A differentiation problem may need to be simplified if it contains complex or lengthy expressions, multiple variables, or if it is difficult to differentiate using standard techniques. In these cases, simplifying the problem can make it more approachable.

3. What are some common techniques for simplifying a differentiation problem?

Some common techniques for simplifying a differentiation problem include using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to break down the problem into simpler components and solve them individually.

4. Can simplifying a differentiation problem change the solution?

Yes, simplifying a differentiation problem can change the solution. This is because the process of simplification may involve reducing or eliminating certain terms or operations, which can alter the overall result of the problem.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying a differentiation problem more efficiently?

One helpful tip for simplifying a differentiation problem is to identify and use any known patterns or identities. This can help you to quickly simplify the problem and avoid unnecessary steps. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with common differentiation techniques can improve your efficiency in simplifying problems.