Simulation of dual porosity in coal using COMSOL Multiphysic

In summary, Sikandar is trying to simulate dual porosity in coal and the interaction of coal matrix and fracture flow, but he is not sure how to do it.
Nima7871
Hi,

I would kindly appreciate it if someone could help me with my simulation problem. I am trying to simulate dual porosity in coal and the interaction of coal matrix and fracture flow. The problem I'm having is I can't assign separate domains with different pressures for matrix and fracture in coal (I don't know how to define boundary conditions for matrix and fractures for different domains). In other words, I do not know how to couple fracture and matrix flow in COMSOL settings.

Regards,
Nima

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Hyo,

Thanks very much for your reply. I need to couple two phenomena namely diffusion in coal matrix and Darcy flow in fracture. These are technical terms for geotechnical problems. The gas in coal is stored in matrix which is then diffused into coal fracture due to pressure gradient and then is driven through the cleats (Fractures) around coal matrix through Darcy flow. I need to define two separate domains in my model with two different pressures, representing coal matrix and fractures. I do not know how to define my geometry and not too sure if I can use fracture flow module under porous media and subsurface flow module in COMSOL. I might be able to define boundary conditions once I can create appropriate geometry and use the right flow module. I think I first need to come up with the right geometry which I'm not clear about.

Regards,
Nima

Hi Nema

I think comsol didn't solve for dual porosity directly because the poroelasticity module is only for single porosity modeling. Also if you can check the fracture flow module can not simulate and assign the fractures in a 3 D model. Fracture flow can only be applied at the boundaries. Did you tried it (means did you have coupled the matrix and fracture flow?). I am working on the same topic and facing the same problem.

Sikandar

1. What is dual porosity in coal?

Dual porosity in coal refers to the presence of two different types of pores within the coal structure. These pores are known as matrix pores and fracture pores. Matrix pores are small and interconnected, while fracture pores are larger and less interconnected. Dual porosity is an important aspect of coal simulations as it affects the transport of fluids and gases within the coal.

2. How is dual porosity in coal simulated using COMSOL Multiphysics?

COMSOL Multiphysics is a finite element analysis software that allows for the simulation of dual porosity in coal. It uses a combination of differential equations and numerical methods to solve for the transport of fluids and gases in the dual porosity system. The software also allows for the incorporation of different parameters, such as coal properties and boundary conditions, to accurately model the dual porosity system.

3. What are the applications of simulating dual porosity in coal?

Simulating dual porosity in coal using COMSOL Multiphysics has various applications in the coal industry. It can be used to predict the flow of fluids and gases in coal seams, which is crucial for efficient coal extraction. It can also be used to study the effects of different parameters, such as coal properties and mining techniques, on the transport of fluids and gases in coal.

4. Are there any limitations to simulating dual porosity in coal using COMSOL Multiphysics?

While COMSOL Multiphysics is a powerful tool for simulating dual porosity in coal, there are some limitations. The accuracy of the simulation depends on the input parameters, and it may not account for all the complexities of the real-world system. Additionally, the simulation may require a significant amount of computational resources and time to run, depending on the complexity of the model.

5. How can the results of the simulation be validated?

The results of the simulation can be validated by comparing them to experimental data or field measurements. This can help to assess the accuracy of the simulation and identify any discrepancies. Additionally, the results can also be validated by conducting sensitivity analyses, where different input parameters are varied to see their effects on the simulation results.