1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simultaneous Eigenkets?

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A and B are observables, suppose that the simultaneous eigenkets of A and B, {|a',b'>} form a complete orthonormal set of base kets.
    Can we always conclude that [A,B]=0

2. Relevant equations
    A|a'> = a' |a'>
    B|b'> = b' |b'>

3. The attempt at a solution
    I Honestly don't know where to start.
    What does it mean that the are "Simultaneous Eigenkets"?

I do know that it implies that you can take a measurement of both without having to destroy the previous measurement. Everywhere i look seems to start at the opposite end assuming that they commute.
    So if someone can explain what "Simultaneous eigenkets" means, I can probably get a bunch further..
    I want to figure this out but i can't seem to really even get started.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

It means that you can write ## A|a',b'\rangle=a' |a',b'\rangle ## and ## B|a',b'\rangle=b'|a',b'\rangle ##, which means ##|a',b'\rangle## is the eigenket of both A and B, so their "simultaneous eigenket"!

4. Feb 12, 2015 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|a',b'> is a simultaneous eigenket of both A and B if it's an eigenket of BOTH the operators A and B. I.e. A|a',b'>=a'|a',b'> and B|a',b'>=b'|a',b'>. Think about what the matrix and A and B look like in that basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted