Singularities at end point in integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a MATLAB routine or program that can handle definite integration with algebraico-logarithmic end point singularities. The user has researched different options, including the "dqawse.f" routine in quadpack and the "gausscc.m" file, but has not found a suitable solution. One suggestion is to use WolframAlpha if the parameters are known, or to approximate the function and integrate the singularity separately before using a numerical method for the rest of the integration.
ashesh
singularities at end point in integration...

Hi,

I Need to perform an integration with poles and zeros in the integrand. Please let me know if there a MATLAB routine/program that can handle the definite integral

sqrt((x-a)*(x-b)/((x-c)*(x-d)))

between the limits (c,d), (a,d), (a,b) or (b,c).

I have read about the routine in quadpack called "dqawse.f" which can perform "integration of functions having algebraico-logarithmic end point singularities".

I need a MATLAB equivalent program that can perform this type of integration. I have checked gausscc.m file (http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=2905&objectType=file) which does integration by Chebychev-Curtis quadrature, but that seems to be no good in handling singularities.

Hope someone can give some leads to solve the above problem.

Thanks in advance.
Ashesh

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use WoframAlpha if the parameters are known. If not, I'm not aware of a general solution to it, except perhaps a Taylor expansion.

Here's a simple approach:
Approximate the function by a simpler function at the singularity, which you can integrate analytically.
Integrate the singularity. Then integrate all the rest with your favorite numerical method.

1. What is a singularity at an end point in integration?

A singularity at an end point in integration refers to a point at which a function becomes undefined or infinite when being integrated. This can occur when the function has a vertical asymptote or a discontinuity at the endpoint.

2. How do singularities at end points affect the integration process?

Singularities at end points can significantly impact the integration process, as they can cause the integral to diverge or become undefined. This means that the integral cannot be evaluated using traditional integration methods and may require alternative techniques to obtain a solution.

3. Can singularities at end points be avoided?

In most cases, singularities at end points cannot be avoided as they are inherent properties of the function being integrated. However, certain techniques such as integration by parts or substitution can help in evaluating integrals with singularities at end points.

4. How can the presence of singularities at end points affect the accuracy of the integration result?

If not accounted for properly, singularities at end points can lead to significant errors in the integration result. This is because they can cause the integral to be evaluated incorrectly or result in an undefined answer. It is important to identify and address singularities at end points in order to obtain an accurate integration result.

5. Are there any strategies for handling singularities at end points in integration?

Yes, there are several strategies for handling singularities at end points in integration. These include using alternative integration techniques, adjusting the integration limits to avoid the singularity, or using software programs with built-in algorithms for handling singularities. It is important to carefully consider the function and the type of singularity in order to determine the most appropriate strategy.