Sketch Curve: Help Solve y=0 | Stephen

• Thread starter StephenP91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding points where y=0 in a given equation. The speaker seeks help in determining these points and finds a practical solution by using a graphing tool. They also mention the process of finding roots and the use of stationary points to determine the approximate value of the roots.
StephenP91
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1555/question10.png

I have done 10)a), but b), I just can't figure it out. I am trying to find at what points y=0, but I just can't do it.

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you,
Stephen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've asked in the introductory physics forum rather than the math one, so you must expect to get a practical answer rather than a nice mathematical one! I suggest you type it into the grapher at
http://www.walterzorn.com/grapher/grapher_e.htm
and it will show you where the zero is.

Turns out. I didn't need it. After I figured out the co-ords of the two stationary points and what happens when X gets inf and -inf then I could see what the roots were and according two the graphics I drew it's about 3.14 so I am pretty sure I didn't have to factorise that damned equation.

What is a sketch curve?

A sketch curve is a visual representation of a mathematical function or equation, typically drawn on a coordinate plane. It helps to show the shape and behavior of the function.

How do I solve for y=0 in a sketch curve?

To solve for y=0, you will need to find the x-intercepts of the curve. These are the points where the curve crosses the x-axis. You can do this by setting y=0 and solving for the corresponding values of x.

What does the "Help Solve" part of the equation mean?

The "Help Solve" part indicates that this is a request for assistance in solving the equation or function. It is typically used in online forums or platforms where individuals can ask for help with mathematical problems.

Who is Stephen?

Stephen is likely the person who posted the equation and is seeking help with solving it. It could also be a reference to a specific mathematical concept or method that can be used to solve the equation.

Why is y=0 significant in a sketch curve?

When y=0, the corresponding points on the curve lie on the x-axis. This can provide important information about the behavior of the function, such as the number of intercepts and the symmetry of the curve.