Sliding Block Problem (We must solve together)

In summary: Instead, do this: 1. Identify all the forces acting on the small cube. (Hint: There are three such forces.) 2. Tell me everything you know about those forces. 3. For each force, tell me the magnitude if you know it (use symbols not numbers) and the direction. Then we will apply Newton's 2nd law to those forces.
Fusilli_Jerry89
Sliding Block Problem (Please Help!)

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1809/physicsyj6.jpg

The drawing shows a large cube(mass=25 kg) being accelerated across a frictionless surface by a horizontal force P. A small cube(mass=4.0 kg) is in contact with the front surface of the large cube and will slide down unless P is sufficiently large. The coefficient of static friction between the cubes in 0.71. WHat is the smallest magnitude that P can have in order to keep the small cube from sliding downward?

What i did:

4.0 x 9.8 = 39.2 x 0.71 = 27.832 N
39.2 - 27.832 = 4.0a
a = 2.842 m/s/s

I do not know what the acceleration in the x direction must be in order to make the acceleration upward match 2.842.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it doesn't slide down, what does that say about the vertical acceleration?

Draw the direction of the force of friction, and draw the direction of gravity acting on the small cube. Further on, what does the force of friction equal? In what relation must the force of friction be with gravity acting on the small cube? You can retrieve the minimal value of P from this inequality easily.

the force of friction is 27.832 N upwards but it must be 39.2 N in order to keep the cube up. This means an extra 11.368 N must be applied upwards. I don't know what to do after this...

does the force of gravity change from straight down to an angle?

Fusilli_Jerry89 said:
the force of friction is 27.832 N upwards
How did you determine that?

but it must be 39.2 N in order to keep the cube up. This means an extra 11.368 N must be applied upwards.
There are only two forces acting vertically: friction (up) and gravitational force (down). They must balance if the block is not to slide down.

does the force of gravity change from straight down to an angle?
Nope. It points straight down as always.

Hint: Your first goal is to determine the normal force between the cubes that will provide sufficient friction.

Doc Al said:
How did you determine that?

There are only two forces acting vertically: friction (up) and gravitational force (down). They must balance if the block is not to slide down.

Nope. It points straight down as always.

Hint: Your first goal is to determine the normal force between the cubes that will provide sufficient friction.

I got 27.832 N up by this (4.0 x 9.8 = 39.2 x 0.71 = 27.832 N) Doesn't that mean that 39.2 Netwons are directed downwards, and 27.832 N is directed upwards? Does this mean you need an extra 11.368 N upwards in order to keep the block from sliding?

Fusilli_Jerry89 said:
I got 27.832 N up by this (4.0 x 9.8 = 39.2 x 0.71 = 27.832 N)
Ah... I see what you did. (Please be careful how you write things. That looks like an equation, but you really meant it in two steps, right?)

(1) You found the weight of the small cube: mg = 39.2 N (OK!)

(2) Then, for some reason, you multiplied by the coefficient of friction. (Not OK!)

To find the force of friction, you need to multiply the normal force by mu. (The normal force is not the weight! The normal force acts horizontally in this case; the weight acts vertically.)

You have to solve for the normal force.

Doc Al said:
Ah... I see what you did. (Please be careful how you write things. That looks like an equation, but you really meant it in two steps, right?)

(1) You found the weight of the small cube: mg = 39.2 N (OK!)

(2) Then, for some reason, you multiplied by the coefficient of friction. (Not OK!)

To find the force of friction, you need to multiply the normal force by mu. (The normal force is not the weight! The normal force acts horizontally in this case; the weight acts vertically.)

You have to solve for the normal force.

I looked on the internet and found that normal force is equal to mg - Tsin(theta), but how can I solve this without a degree in the question? I learn better if I can see the solution, because I memorize concepts very well.

Fusilli_Jerry89 said:
I looked on the internet and found that normal force is equal to mg - Tsin(theta), but how can I solve this without a degree in the question?
What makes you think that that expression is relevant to this situation? (T probably stands for tension!)

Instead, do this: Identify all the forces acting on the small cube. (Hint: There are three such forces.) Tell me everything you know about those forces. For each force, tell me the magnitude if you know it (use symbols not numbers) and the direction. Then we will apply Newton's 2nd law to those forces.

1. What is the Sliding Block Problem?

The Sliding Block Problem is a classic physics problem that involves a block on a frictionless surface and another block that is attached to a spring. The objective is to determine the motion of the blocks as the spring pulls the second block, causing it to slide along the surface.

2. What are the main variables involved in the Sliding Block Problem?

The main variables in the Sliding Block Problem are the mass of the blocks, the spring constant, the initial position and velocity of the blocks, and the coefficient of friction of the surface. These variables will determine the acceleration and velocity of the blocks as they move.

3. How do you solve the Sliding Block Problem?

The Sliding Block Problem can be solved using Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma) and Hooke's Law (F=-kx). By setting up and solving the equations of motion for the two blocks, you can determine the acceleration and velocity of each block at any given time.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Sliding Block Problem?

The Sliding Block Problem has applications in engineering, specifically in the design of shock absorbers and suspension systems. It is also used in robotics for designing and controlling the movement of robotic arms and grippers.

5. What are some challenges when solving the Sliding Block Problem?

One of the main challenges when solving the Sliding Block Problem is accurately modeling and accounting for all the forces involved, such as friction and air resistance. Another challenge is determining the appropriate initial conditions for the blocks to produce the desired motion. Additionally, the problem can become more complex when multiple blocks or springs are involved.