1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slipping problem

1. Apr 16, 2008 #1
    a bowling ball is slipping woth initial velocity of 5m/s with coeficient of friction being .08.
    how far does it travel before it started to slip?

i used conservation of total energy and accounted for the energy lost in friction until it starts to roll.

both i and my teacher got double the actual answer of the problem.

i think i need to know the force that keeps the ball from rolling for the duration of x.
    but im not completely sure, does anyone know how to use conservatin of total energy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2008 #2
    the answer is 7.8 meters if anyone was wondering
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

I did a quick calculation and got 7.8 m. Please post the steps of your calculation.
  5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    i used V=Rw to solve it correctly, you should get 7.8m

but i wnat to know how to use conservbation of total energy because it makes conceptual sense but it does not provide the correct answer.
  6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    (edit to the first post by me)

*a bowling ball is sliding without rolling with initial velocity of 5m/s and coeficient of friction being .08.
    how far does it travel before it starts to roll?*

that should make more sense
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?