Solving Bowling Ball Slipping Problem with Conservation of Total Energy

• Thread starter hardrocker13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slipping
In summary, the conversation discusses the distance a bowling ball travels before it starts to roll when initially sliding with a velocity of 5m/s and a coefficient of friction of .08. The speakers mention using the conservation of total energy to calculate the distance, but they both got an answer that was twice the actual value. One speaker suggests using the force that prevents the ball from rolling, while the other suggests using V=Rw to solve the problem correctly. They also mention that using conservation of total energy may make conceptual sense but does not provide the correct answer. The final answer is 7.8 meters, with one speaker providing the steps of their calculation.
hardrocker13
a bowling ball is slipping woth initial velocity of 5m/s with coeficient of friction being .08.
how far does it travel before it started to slip?

i used conservation of total energy and accounted for the energy lost in friction until it starts to roll.

both i and my teacher got double the actual answer of the problem.

i think i need to know the force that keeps the ball from rolling for the duration of x.
but I am not completely sure, does anyone know how to use conservatin of total energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
the answer is 7.8 meters if anyone was wondering

I did a quick calculation and got 7.8 m. Please post the steps of your calculation.

i used V=Rw to solve it correctly, you should get 7.8m

but i wnat to know how to use conservbation of total energy because it makes conceptual sense but it does not provide the correct answer.

(edit to the first post by me)

*a bowling ball is sliding without rolling with initial velocity of 5m/s and coeficient of friction being .08.
how far does it travel before it starts to roll?*

that should make more sense

1. How does the conservation of total energy help solve the bowling ball slipping problem?

The conservation of total energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of a bowling ball slipping, the energy from the ball's motion is being transferred to the rotational energy of the ball as it slips. By understanding this principle, we can adjust the amount of energy being transferred to prevent the slipping and maintain the ball's motion.

2. What factors contribute to the bowling ball slipping problem?

Several factors can contribute to the bowling ball slipping problem, including the surface of the lane, the amount of oil on the lane, the speed and angle of the ball's release, and the weight and design of the ball itself. These factors affect the amount of energy transferred and can lead to slipping if not properly managed.

3. What can be done to prevent the bowling ball from slipping?

To prevent the bowling ball from slipping, you can adjust the amount of energy being transferred by changing the ball's speed, release angle, and surface area in contact with the lane. You can also use a ball with a different weight or design that better suits the lane conditions. Additionally, regularly maintaining and cleaning the lane can also help prevent the ball from slipping.

4. How important is it to understand the physics behind the bowling ball slipping problem?

Understanding the physics behind the bowling ball slipping problem is crucial in finding a solution. By understanding the principles of energy transfer and the factors that contribute to slipping, you can make informed adjustments to prevent the problem from occurring. This knowledge can also help you improve your overall bowling skills and technique.

5. Are there any other methods besides conservation of total energy that can solve the bowling ball slipping problem?

While the conservation of total energy is the most effective method for solving the bowling ball slipping problem, there are other techniques that can also help. These include using a different type of ball, adjusting your grip and release technique, and using specialized shoes with better traction on the lane. However, it is essential to keep in mind that all of these methods still rely on the principles of energy transfer and conservation of total energy.