1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snell's Law and Lasers

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A laser beam of diameter = 3.1mm in air has an incident angle = 26 degrees at a flat air-glass surface.If the index of refraction of the glass is n=1.5, determine the diameter of the beam after it enters the glass.

2. Relevant equations
    n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2

3. The attempt at a solution
    okay, well the initial application of snell's law is obvious. The laser is going from air, where n = 1 into glass where n = 1.5

So, (1)sin(26) = (1.5)sinθ2

θ2 = (approx) 17 degrees or 16.99

I know how to find the diameter of the laser, the solutions have this equation:

d1/cosθ1 = d2/cosθ2

and simple plug and chug would yield the answer 3.3 mm

But I just don't understand where this second equation came from. Can some one walk me through the sense behind it? My book doesn't even mention it, so perhaps its obvious (just not to me).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A picture always helps.

ehild

Attached Files:

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    I see, the two diameters are related through the common interface (the hypothenuse of the two triangles). Just some geometry from there.

It makes sense, thank you :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. Apr 18, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome. And start drawing!:smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook