How Does Refraction Affect Laser Beam Diameter?

In summary, a laser beam with a diameter of 3.1mm and an incident angle of 26 degrees in air enters a flat air-glass surface with an index of refraction of n=1.5. Using Snell's law, the diameter of the beam after it enters the glass can be determined by using the equation d1/cosθ1 = d2/cosθ2. This equation takes into account the relationship between the two diameters at the interface of the two materials. Drawing a diagram can help visualize this concept.
pinkerpikachu

Homework Statement

A laser beam of diameter = 3.1mm in air has an incident angle = 26 degrees at a flat air-glass surface.If the index of refraction of the glass is n=1.5, determine the diameter of the beam after it enters the glass.

Homework Equations

n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, well the initial application of snell's law is obvious. The laser is going from air, where n = 1 into glass where n = 1.5

So, (1)sin(26) = (1.5)sinθ2

θ2 = (approx) 17 degrees or 16.99

I know how to find the diameter of the laser, the solutions have this equation:

d1/cosθ1 = d2/cosθ2

and simple plug and chug would yield the answer 3.3 mm

But I just don't understand where this second equation came from. Can some one walk me through the sense behind it? My book doesn't even mention it, so perhaps its obvious (just not to me).

Physics news on Phys.org
A picture always helps.

ehild

Attachments

• laser.JPG
    laser.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 757
I see, the two diameters are related through the common interface (the hypothenuse of the two triangles). Just some geometry from there.

It makes sense, thank you :)

Last edited:
You are welcome. And start drawing!:smile:

ehild

I would first clarify that the second equation is not Snell's Law, but rather a trigonometric relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction, as well as the diameter of the laser beam in air and in the glass. This equation can be derived from Snell's Law, but it is not the same thing.

To understand where this equation comes from, we can use the concept of the conservation of energy. When light enters a medium with a different refractive index, some of its energy is transmitted through the medium, while some is reflected back. In this case, we are assuming that all of the light is transmitted through the glass, so the energy of the beam must remain constant.

We know that the energy of a beam is proportional to its intensity, which is related to its diameter. Therefore, if we assume that the intensity of the laser beam remains constant before and after entering the glass, we can use the relationship between intensity and diameter to set up an equation:

I1 = I2 (since the energy remains constant)
d1^2/4 = d2^2/4
d1^2 = d2^2

This equation tells us that the diameter of the beam in air (d1) is equal to the diameter of the beam in glass (d2). However, we need to take into account the fact that the beam will be refracted at the air-glass interface, which will change the angle of the beam. This is where the trigonometric relationship between the angles comes in.

Using basic trigonometry, we can relate the diameter of the beam to the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction:

d1/cosθ1 = d2/cosθ2

This equation is essentially saying that the diameter of the beam in air (d1) is equal to the diameter of the beam in glass (d2) divided by the cosine of the angle of refraction (cosθ2). This relationship allows us to find the diameter of the beam in glass, knowing the diameter of the beam in air and the angle of refraction.

In summary, the second equation is a result of the conservation of energy and basic trigonometry, and it allows us to find the diameter of the beam in glass using the diameter of the beam in air and the angle of refraction.

What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the Law of Refraction, is a fundamental principle in optics that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light passes through two different mediums.

How is Snell's Law related to lasers?

Snell's Law is applicable to lasers because lasers are devices that produce intense and coherent beams of light. The law helps in understanding how the light travels through different materials and how it is refracted when it passes through optical components such as lenses and prisms.

What is the equation for Snell's Law?

The mathematical equation for Snell's Law is n1sin(θ1)=n2sin(θ2), where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

How does the refractive index affect Snell's Law?

The refractive index is a crucial factor in Snell's Law as it determines how much the light will be bent or refracted when it passes from one medium to another. Higher refractive indices result in a larger angle of refraction, while lower refractive indices lead to a smaller angle of refraction.

What are some real-world applications of Snell's Law and lasers?

Snell's Law and lasers have numerous practical applications in various fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and manufacturing. They are used in fiber optics for telecommunication networks, in laser eye surgery, and in cutting and welding materials in manufacturing processes. Lasers also play a crucial role in research and measurement techniques in science and engineering.