Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Software to adjust exposure? webcam, astrophotography

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    I'd like to use a webcam and take images of the planets directly from my computer but I can't seem to find a software though that let's me adjust the exposure for the live video while it's streaming.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2
    You could try ManyCam or SplitCam. Neither are made for what you're wanting to do, but ManyCam will allow you to adjust contrast, lighting, and a few other items. It might help, but may not. Good luck!

4. Apr 18, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the advice! Turns out my cam does have it's own software that allows you to adjust brightness, which apparently means exposure. I tested it out on my lamp and it worked. Not sure why it's called brightness and not exposure.

5. Apr 18, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You may want to look harder for other settings. Brightness may not be exposure.

6. Apr 19, 2016 #5
    Your avatar is a circuit board... can you program?

You can use the OpenCV API to talk to your camera and tell it to do whatever you want. I'm planning on building a telescope with a camera soon, I've always planned on writing my own software for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted