Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar energy heat energy light energy

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    solar energy heat energy light energy......

i am a student in high school. and i want to ask someone about the basics of
    solar energy. i want to create a solar system that can heat up water. anyof you can give some advices/ equation/model/ for my idea.
    is ther possible if a solar cells can run a motor? and is it possible that a solar energy can be gather to create a fusion reaction (if possible)?
    can sombody give me the explaination for the following situation?
    " i use a magnify glass to gather the sun light onto a paper. after a few minutes the paper burn up." how can magnifying glass do that?
    some body can give me a system equation for the following situation?
    " i let the sun ligh (concentrated) go through a transparent contaner which containing pure water. i notice that the temperature of the water is being raised up." i wonder why?:surprised
    these question is really basics for all designer in here. can you give some informations about these "old stuff"?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Could you start by saying what you think is happening here? We don't just answer homework questions for people here - we help students answer them themselves.
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    Re: solar energy heat energy light energy......

The energy we receive from the sun at mean earth distance is called solar constant (SC) SC=1353 watt/M^2 that is 13,53 watt /dm^2. A lens makes a dot of the sun in mm^2. If you want to calculate the intensity of the light in the dot you need to divide the surface of the lens bij the surface of the dot. for example 2cm^2/(2mm^2) = 100.
    The intensity of the sunlight on the lense is 13,53*2/100 is 0,27 watt.
    If the lense is 100% you get 0,27 watt / (2mm^2)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?