Maximizing Solar Energy with Microcontroller Circuit

In summary, our proposed thesis will be about solar panel usage. We want to design a circuit that will maximize the usage of the energy of the sun, whenever it is available in greater amount. We would like to ask some ideas to realize this project in order for us to complete our requirements and be able to graduate this coming march. Hoping to receive your reply as soon as possible.
zafranax
our proposed thesis will be about solar panel..we want to design a circuit that will maximize the usage of the energy of the sun, whenever it is available in greater amount using microcontroller. we would like to ask some ideas to realize this project in order for us to complete our requirements and be able to graduate this coming march. hoping to receive your reply as soon as possible.thanks..GODBLESS.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you read this sticky, at the top of the forum?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=224442

I did this same project when I was in college - so it's no longer available as a thesis :)

Easy, cheesy. Nah, I was stepping the output voltage up to the value of the battery bank. I used a boost regulator topology and controlled the PWM. It's a classic linear programming problem.

1. Start by assuming given PWM value will be optimal (x.nom)
2. Output a slightly higher PWM value to the boost circuit (PWM = x.nom + h)
2. Record the output current (y.high)
3. Decrement the PWM value (PWM = x.nom - h)
4. Record the output current (y.low)
5. Ascertain whether the initial guess, x.nom, was high or low using (y.high - y.low)
6. Increment decrement x.nom accordingly.
7. Goto step 2

Now, you may be thinking that I solved your problem for you - I haven't. I gave you the starting point that most people already know. The problem with this method is transients. What happens when a cloud comes by? Typically, the output shoots up as the cloud comes near and drops harshly when the cloud is overhead. How do you deal with this effect on your algorithm?

Then, there's the battery voltage. You may be thinking it's steady, but again, it's not. your job is to deliver the maximum current to the battery, but optimal PWM will change as the battery is loaded by pumps, refrigerators, whatever.

Go forth, mull it over. By now, you have the education to do an excellent job, so put your basics in place, make some theories, and test them. Leave extra inputs to your micro and make mistakes fast.

Best Wishes,

Mike Fortner

sophiecentaur said:
Did you read this sticky, at the top of the forum?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=224442

For school projects, we generally allow them to be posted in the technical forums like EE. That's one exception in the Homework Help rules. Especially for more complex, upper-division projects.

Mike_In_Plano said:
Then, there's the battery voltage. You may be thinking it's steady, but again, it's not. your job is to deliver the maximum current to the battery, but optimal PWM will change as the battery is loaded by pumps, refrigerators, whatever.

I thought the fact that you only measure the current was a consequence of assuming that the battery voltage was steady during the time it takes to perturb and observe? If you maximize the output power (which would be equivalent to maximizing the current for a load with constant voltage) from the panels, wouldn't this be sufficient if your goal was to maximize charge current to the battery?

When you say the battery voltage is not steady, is that because you assume it is loaded with equipment that draws some kind of high frequency pulsed current or something of that sort?

It's not my place to do this work, and your answers don't have to be perfect. Perfection is the enemy of good. But, it's good to see what you can do to address these very real situations.

You have a method to ascertain improvements in x.nom. Must you react at every measurement, or can you filter / average the new value for x.nom? Is there an optimal sample rate to ignore an inverter (100 or 120Hz ripple)? Does your tracker react quickly or slowly? Does it decide when changes are excessive (Cloud)? Does it use a feed-forward measurement to compensate / ignore anything?

Again, it doesn't have to be perfect - especially if a feature will make the project late. Just consider what gives you a good, stable tracker. Make mistakes quickly.

- Mike

Mike_In_Plano said:
It's not my place to do this work, and your answers don't have to be perfect. Perfection is the enemy of good. But, it's good to see what you can do to address these very real situations.

You have a method to ascertain improvements in x.nom. Must you react at every measurement, or can you filter / average the new value for x.nom? Is there an optimal sample rate to ignore an inverter (100 or 120Hz ripple)? Does your tracker react quickly or slowly? Does it decide when changes are excessive (Cloud)? Does it use a feed-forward measurement to compensate / ignore anything?

Again, it doesn't have to be perfect - especially if a feature will make the project late. Just consider what gives you a good, stable tracker. Make mistakes quickly.

- Mike

Admittedly I'm drunk, but still -- I can't really relate your reply as to why the battery voltage matters when you're trying to track the maximum power point of the solar panel. Why is it not enough to ignore the battery voltage and simply focus on maximizing the output current of the solar panels? Unless you perturb and observe at a turtle's pace, I can't see how the battery voltage enters the equation.

thanks for the replies..i actually getting something in your ideas..im looking forward for more ideas..as of now we are planning to program a module for our microcontroller that maximize the usage of energy from the sun for our thesis project..GODBLESS

gnurf said:
I thought the fact that you only measure the current was a consequence of assuming that the battery voltage was steady during the time it takes to perturb and observe? If you maximize the output power (which would be equivalent to maximizing the current for a load with constant voltage) from the panels, wouldn't this be sufficient if your goal was to maximize charge current to the battery?

When you say the battery voltage is not steady, is that because you assume it is loaded with equipment that draws some kind of high frequency pulsed current or something of that sort?

Yes Gnurf I agree. For the purpose of battery charging it is sufficient to just maximize the current.

BTW. Mike's post following your post does not appear to be a reply to your post. This is just a hunch, but it looks to me like a repsonse to further questions asked of Mike by the OP through the forums PM (private messaging) feature.

1. How does a microcontroller circuit help in maximizing solar energy?

A microcontroller circuit is a small electronic circuit that can be programmed to control various components within a system. In the case of solar energy, a microcontroller circuit can be used to optimize the performance of solar panels by constantly monitoring and adjusting the amount of energy being collected from the sun. This ensures that the panels are functioning at their maximum efficiency, thus maximizing the amount of solar energy being generated.

2. What components are needed for a microcontroller circuit to work with solar energy?

The main components needed for a microcontroller circuit to work with solar energy include a microcontroller, a solar panel, a power regulator, and a battery. The microcontroller serves as the brain of the circuit, while the solar panel collects and converts the sun's energy into electricity. The power regulator ensures that the voltage and current from the solar panel are at the appropriate levels for the microcontroller to function. The battery stores excess energy generated by the solar panel for later use.

3. Can a microcontroller circuit be used for both residential and commercial solar energy systems?

Yes, a microcontroller circuit can be used for both residential and commercial solar energy systems. The size and complexity of the circuit may vary depending on the specific needs of the system, but the basic principles and components remain the same. In fact, microcontroller circuits are commonly used in larger commercial systems to improve overall efficiency and performance.

4. How does a microcontroller circuit help in monitoring the performance of solar panels?

A microcontroller circuit can be programmed to constantly monitor the voltage and current output of solar panels. By analyzing this data, the circuit can identify any issues or inefficiencies in the panels and make adjustments in real-time to improve their performance. Additionally, the circuit can also track the overall energy production of the panels over time, providing valuable data for maintenance and optimization purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to using a microcontroller circuit for maximizing solar energy?

While microcontroller circuits offer many benefits for optimizing solar energy, there are some limitations to consider. These circuits require a certain level of technical knowledge and programming skills to design and implement. Additionally, they may not be suitable for smaller, simpler solar energy systems as the cost and complexity of the circuit may outweigh the potential benefits. It is important to carefully assess the specific needs and goals of a solar energy system before deciding to incorporate a microcontroller circuit.