Solving Solenoid Field Problem: B=urNI & Force on Iron

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic field strength inside and at the ends of a solenoid using the equation B=urNI. It also raises questions about the field strength at a distance from the solenoid and the force it would impart on a piece of iron. However, it is mentioned that the equation only applies to an infinite solenoid and the problem becomes more complex for a finite length solenoid.
I_am_learning
Given a solenoid we can find the field inside and at the ends by B=urNI.
Now, what is the field strength at some x -axial distance away from the solenoid?
What force will this field impart on a piece of iron?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That equation assumes that the solenoid is infinite, in which case the field outside the solenoid is zero. For a finite length solenoid, it is a more difficult problem but one that has ben studied previously I am sure.

Leave the problem for finite length solenoid now, Born2bwire.
Even if we calculate the field Strength B, what force will it impart on a piece of iron?

thecritic said:
Given a solenoid we can find the field inside and at the ends by B=urNI.
Now, what is the field strength at some x -axial distance away from the solenoid?
What force will this field impart on a piece of iron?

What is the context of your question?

berkeman said:
What is the context of your question?
I am just asking two elementary questions
1. What is the magnetic field strength at any given point on the axial line of a finite length current carrying solenoid.
2. What force will a piece of iron experience if it is placed at the point where magnetic filed strength is say 10 tesla.

1. What is a solenoid field?

A solenoid field is a magnetic field created by an electric current flowing through a coil of wire, known as a solenoid. The strength and direction of the magnetic field is dependent on the current, number of turns in the coil, and the material the solenoid is made of.

2. What is the equation for calculating the solenoid field?

The equation for calculating the solenoid field is B = μr * N * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μr is the relative permeability of the material, N is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

3. How does the solenoid field affect iron?

The solenoid field causes a force on iron due to its magnetic properties. Iron is a ferromagnetic material, meaning it can be easily magnetized and demagnetized. When placed in a solenoid field, the iron experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic fields of the solenoid and the iron.

4. What factors affect the force on iron in a solenoid field?

The force on iron in a solenoid field is affected by the strength of the solenoid field, the permeability of the iron, and the size and shape of the iron object. The force is also dependent on the distance between the iron and the solenoid, as well as the direction of the current in the solenoid.

5. How can the solenoid field problem be solved?

The solenoid field problem can be solved by using the equation B = μr * N * I to calculate the magnetic field strength, and then using the equation F = B * I * L to calculate the force on the iron object. It is important to also consider the direction of the current and the distance between the solenoid and the iron when solving this problem.