Solenoid & Lenz's Law: Choosing Option B

In summary, the direction of the induced emf will depend on the motion of the magnet. When the South pole approaches, a downward flux is induced, and when the North pole leaves, an upward flux is induced. This is due to Lenz's Law and the opposing effects of the induced flux on the imposed flux. The direction of the induced emf will be opposite to the direction of the imposed flux, resulting in opposite currents for the approaching and leaving poles.
jinhuit95
1363183777992.jpg

I know that the answer will not be a or c due to effects of gravity. But I can't decide between b and d. I chose b because of lenzs law.
I thought that since the south pole enter first, there will be an increasing flux upwards, coil opposes this by inducing an magnetic flux downwards. When it leaves, the north pole will cause and decreasing flux downwards, coil will then oppose this by inducing a magnetic flux downwards. Since both induced magnetic flux are downwards, the direction of induced emf will be the same. Am I correct??:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
jinhuit95 said:
View attachment 56680
I know that the answer will not be a or c due to effects of gravity. But I can't decide between b and d. I chose b because of lenzs law.
I thought that since the south pole enter first, there will be an increasing flux upwards, coil opposes this by inducing an magnetic flux downwards. When it leaves, the north pole will cause and decreasing flux downwards, coil will then oppose this by inducing a magnetic flux downwards. Since both induced magnetic flux are downwards, the direction of induced emf will be the same. Am I correct??:confused:

Close but no cigar.

The South pole has upward flux [ie into magnet] - as you say - and the North pole also has upward flux [ie out of magnet] .

That means the current produced as the magnet falls out of the loop is in the opposite direction to the current as it falls in.

So now you have to work out which of the two options is correct.

Why are the direction of the currents different??

jinhuit95 said:
Why are the direction of the currents different??

Your arguments were good except that the North pole leaving means a decreasing upward flux.

Upward, because the flux from the North end is upward, decreasing because the magnet is coming out of the solenoid.

With respect to the north pole there will be an induced upwards flux right by lenzs law right? Since both induced flux are in the same direction, wouldn't the currents be in the same direction??

jinhuit95 said:
With respect to the north pole there will be an induced upwards flux right by lenzs law right? Since both induced flux are in the same direction, wouldn't the currents be in the same direction??

NO.

The real flux is in the same direction. Draw a vertical Bar magnet with the South Pole at the bottom.
The flux goes into the South Pole [ie up.]
The flux comes out of the North Pole [again up]

So the real fields are in the same direction - so it all comes down to motion.

The South pole approaches the solenoid, so at that time the imposed flux density is increasing - inducing a certain current.
Later, the North pole is leaving the solenoid, so at that time the imposed flux density is reducing - inducing a current in the opposite direction.

jinhuit95 said:

It is 2:22 am here - I am off to bed.

jinhuit95 said:

Yes there will be an induced upward flux while the North pole is leaving, but there will be an induced downward flux when the South pole approaches.
That is why it is opposite.
The South Pole imposes an upward flux, so a downward flux is induced.
The North Pole takes away an upward flux, so an upward flux is induced.

Related to Solenoid & Lenz's Law: Choosing Option B

What is a solenoid and how does it work?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. This magnetic field can be used to create motion or force when interacting with other magnetic objects.

What is Lenz's Law and how does it relate to solenoids?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in magnetic field that caused it. This law is important when considering the behavior of solenoids, as it explains why a solenoid will resist changes in the magnetic field created by the electric current passing through it.

What factors affect the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field?

The strength of a solenoid's magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through the coil, and the material of the core (if any). Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

How can a solenoid be used in practical applications?

Solenoids have many practical applications, including in electromechanical devices such as door locks, valves, and relays. They are also used in medical equipment, speakers, and even in some types of motors.

Are there any limitations to the use of solenoids?

One limitation of using solenoids is that they can generate heat due to the resistance of the wire coil. This can cause them to overheat and fail if not properly designed or cooled. Additionally, solenoids are not effective for creating very strong magnetic fields, so they may not be suitable for some applications that require a high level of force or precision.