Solenoid produces a magnetic field help

In summary, the current in the coil is 2.4 x 10^-2 A, calculated using the formula I = BL/μN with the given values of B, L, N, and μo. However, it should be noted that this calculation assumes an infinite solenoid and may not be entirely accurate in practical situations.
predentalgirl1
1. A solenoid is 0.20 m long and consists of 100 turns of wire. At its center, the solenoid produces a magnetic field with a strength of 1.5 mT. Find the current in the coil.

2. L be the length of the solenoid = 0.2m

N be the number of turns = 100

B be the magnetic field = 1.5 mT = 1.5 x 10-3 T

I be the current in the coil in ampere

μ be the permeability in air = 4 π x 10-7 H/m

in a close circuit magnetic field

B = μNI / L

3. So, I = BL / μN

= (1.5x10-3 x 0.2) / (4 π x 10-7 x 100)

= 3 x 10-3 / 1256.637061 x 10-7

= (3/1256.637061) x 104

= 23.87324147 A

( Ans)

Physics news on Phys.org
Were you looking for a correct? It's correct.

Mindscrape said:
Were you looking for a correct? It's correct.

Yes, I was. And it really is? Yes!

Well, technically, it isn't because the derivation you used assumes an infinite solenoid. :p

It is what your professor/teacher would be looking for though. :)

Given that,
L = 0.20m, n = 100 turns, B = 1.5 x 10 ^-6 T
have I = B/μo . l

= 1.5 x 10^ -6 x 0.20/4 x 3.14 x 10 ^-7

=0.024 x 10 A

=2.4 10 ^-2 A

1. How does a solenoid produce a magnetic field?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that carries an electric current. As the current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the solenoid. This magnetic field is produced due to the movement of electrons in the wire, which creates a force that aligns the magnetic domains of the material inside the solenoid.

2. What factors influence the strength of a magnetic field produced by a solenoid?

The strength of a magnetic field produced by a solenoid is influenced by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the wire, and the material used for the core of the solenoid. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

3. How can a solenoid be used to create a stronger magnetic field?

A solenoid can be used to create a stronger magnetic field by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the current flowing through the wire, or using a material with higher magnetic permeability for the core. Additionally, stacking multiple solenoids on top of each other can also increase the strength of the magnetic field.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic field produced by a solenoid?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by a solenoid can be determined using the right-hand rule. Simply point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines. The magnetic field inside the solenoid will be in the same direction as the current, while outside the solenoid the field will be in the opposite direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of solenoids and their magnetic fields?

Solenoids and their magnetic fields are used in a variety of applications, including motors, relays, speakers, and magnetic locks. They are also used in medical devices such as MRI machines and in various industrial processes, such as metal sorting and particle accelerators.