Solve a Simple Differential Equation | Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: The correct integral should be ln(y) = 3ln(-x^2+3) + c. From here, you can exponentiate both sides to get rid of the logarithm and solve for y. In summary, the problem is to solve the differential equation dy/dx = 6*x*y/(3-x^2) by separating the variables and integrating. The correct integral is ln(y) = 3ln(-x^2+3) + c, which can be solved for y by exponentiating both sides.
SteliosVas

Homework Statement

The problem is Solve the following differential equation: dy/dx = 6*x*y/(3-x^2)

Homework Equations

Okay so I know the first step is integrating both sides and separating the variables

The Attempt at a Solution

So separating the variables and integrating I get integral of \int y*dy \ = integral of
\int (6x)/(3-x^2) \, dx

Using substation for the the x variable I get -3ln(-x^2+3) +c and for the y variable as just y(x).

Now after this what is the next step. Should i rewrite the log natural as 1/(x^2-3)^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now after this what is the next step.
Stop - you are there. Put LHS = RHS.
for the y variable as just y(x).
But ##\int y\;dy \neq y##

SteliosVas said:

Homework Statement

The problem is Solve the following differential equation: dy/dx = 6*x*y/(3-x^2)

Homework Equations

Okay so I know the first step is integrating both sides and separating the variables
Separate the variables first before integrating.
SteliosVas said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So separating the variables and integrating I get integral of \int y*dy \ = integral of
\int (6x)/(3-x^2) \, dx
Check your algebra. The left side is NOT y * dy.
SteliosVas said:
Using substation for the the x variable I get -3ln(-x^2+3) +c and for the y variable as just y(x).

Now after this what is the next step. Should i rewrite the log natural as 1/(x^2-3)^2?
You have a mistake in here as well.

1. What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is an equation that relates an unknown function to its derivative. It is usually in the form of f'(x) = g(x), where f(x) is the unknown function and g(x) is a known function.

2. What is the purpose of solving a simple differential equation?

Solving a simple differential equation allows us to find the unknown function f(x), which can help us model and predict the behavior of various systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do I solve a simple differential equation?

There are various methods for solving simple differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using substitution. The approach used will depend on the specific equation and its properties.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Additionally, the derivative in an ordinary differential equation is with respect to the single independent variable, whereas in a partial differential equation, the derivative is with respect to one or more of the independent variables.

5. Can all simple differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all simple differential equations have closed-form solutions that can be expressed algebraically. In some cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution. Additionally, certain types of simple differential equations, such as nonlinear or higher-order equations, may not have analytical solutions.