Solve Acceleration Problem: 10 & 20 lb Blocks, Rope Friction Coefficient 0.2

In summary: Well spotted. But I reverse-engineered the mass from the answers and don't get anything encouraging: C)120.8 to 122.4 lb, D) 56 to 56.5 lb, E) 21.2 to 21.3 lb. 120 lb looks hopeful, but it gives 23.5, not 23.6. Other options imply g is being taken as 32.2, which is what I've used.
eriklee95
Member warned about using the template.
1. A rope connecting a 10 and 20 lb weight passes over a cylinder. The rope-cylinder friction coefficient is 0.2. Rope mass, cylinder radius not given.2. Solve for downward acceleration of the heavy 20 lb block3. I'm confused because this problem doesn't give a mass for the rope, so I assumed we could neglect friction. Then after writing force/tension equations for both masses and combining them, I got 10.7 ft/s^2 as the answer, which isn't one of the options.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-07 at 12.45.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-07 at 12.45.31 PM.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Even if the rope is massless the masses hanging from it will produce a force on the cylinder. After all, the cylinder is supporting the mass-rope system.

Friction of a rope wrapped around a fixed cylinder is more complicated than the usual frictional force between flat surfaces. Tensions come into play along with the total angle of the "wrap" of the rope. Has this type of frictional setup been presented to you in your course? If not, look up the "Capstan Equation".

gneill said:
Even if the rope is massless the masses hanging from it will produce a force on the cylinder. After all, the cylinder is supporting the mass-rope system.

Friction of a rope wrapped around a fixed cylinder is more complicated than the usual frictional force between flat surfaces. Tensions come into play along with the total angle of the "wrap" of the rope. Has this type of frictional setup been presented to you in your course? If not, look up the "Capstan Equation".
Have you done the calculation? I get a value lower than any of the offered answers.

haruspex said:
Have you done the calculation? I get a value lower than any of the offered answers.
I have, and I also get a lower value. Looking at the image it seems that the "20 lb" tag may have changed at some point in order to "refresh" the question. Could be the answer choices were not updated. This can be frustrating for students!

gneill said:
it seems that the "20 lb" tag may have changed at some point in order to "refresh" the question.
Well spotted. But I reverse-engineered the mass from the answers and don't get anything encouraging: C)120.8 to 122.4 lb, D) 56 to 56.5 lb, E) 21.2 to 21.3 lb. 120 lb looks hopeful, but it gives 23.5, not 23.6. Other options imply g is being taken as 32.2, which is what I've used.

Related to Solve Acceleration Problem: 10 & 20 lb Blocks, Rope Friction Coefficient 0.2

1. How do you calculate acceleration in a block and pulley system?

To calculate acceleration in a block and pulley system, you need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). In this specific problem, the net force can be determined by subtracting the force of friction (μmg) from the applied force (F=mg). Once you have the net force, you can use it to calculate the acceleration using the formula a=F/m.

2. What is the role of the rope friction coefficient in this problem?

The rope friction coefficient (μ) represents the resistance caused by the friction between the rope and the pulley. In this problem, it is given as 0.2. This means that for every pound of force applied to the rope, 0.2 pounds of force will be lost due to friction. It is an important factor to consider when calculating the net force and acceleration in a block and pulley system.

3. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in this problem?

In this problem, the direction of acceleration can be determined by looking at the direction of the net force. If the net force is positive, the acceleration will be in the same direction as the applied force (upward). If the net force is negative, the acceleration will be in the opposite direction as the applied force (downward).

4. Can the mass of the blocks affect the acceleration in this problem?

Yes, the mass of the blocks can affect the acceleration in this problem. According to Newton's second law, the acceleration is directly proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration, and vice versa. In this problem, the two blocks have different masses (10 lbs and 20 lbs), which will result in different accelerations.

5. How can you use the calculated acceleration to solve for the velocity of the blocks?

The acceleration can be used to solve for the velocity of the blocks by using the formula v=u+at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is assumed to be 0 in this problem), a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Once you have the final velocity, you can use it to calculate the distance traveled by the blocks using the formula d=vt.