Solve cos((1/3)*arccos(x))

• Thread starter Zetison
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to find an albebraic expression for cos((1/3)*arccos(x)), and is having difficulty doing so without the trigonometric operands. He is also having difficulty solving a*y^3+b*y^2+c*y+d=0 for y in terms of x. He is told that it is possible to solve the cubic equation if he can get it on the form ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0, and is given a link to a post detailing an explicit cubic solution. However, he is told that the expression is actually defined for all x and that when cos and
Zetison

Homework Statement

Find an albebraic expression for cos((1/3)*arccos(x)), in order to get rid of the trigonometric operands.

Homework Equations

cos(arccos(x))=x

The Attempt at a Solution

cos(x)= 4cos(x/3)^3 - 3cos(x/3), I can reduce cos(cos(x)/3)
by noting that cos(arccos(x))=x. Then I solve the cubic:
1 = 4y^3 - 3y
This was a tips I have found, but, it gave me nothing :P
Need help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you want to solve is x=4y^3-3y, isn't it? You want to solve for y in terms of x. Don't ask me about the algebra of solving the cubic. I really don't like solving cubics.

Do you really need too use cubic to solve cos((1/3)*arccos(x))?
However, is it posible to get an albebraic expression for cos((1/3)*arccos(x)) without the trigonometric operands?

I can solve the cubic if you get it on the form ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0 for me ;)

Dick said:
The equation you want to solve is x=4y^3-3y, isn't it? You want to solve for y in terms of x. Don't ask me about the algebra of solving the cubic. I really don't like solving cubics.

This is the answer to the problem. It is exactly solving a cubic.

I don't know your teacher -- but "an algebraic expression for foo" does not necessarily mean that "foo" has to be isolated. It might be enough to simply have a purely algebraic equation involving foo.

Zetison said:
Do you really need too use cubic to solve cos((1/3)*arccos(x))?
However, is it posible to get an albebraic expression for cos((1/3)*arccos(x)) without the trigonometric operands?

I can solve the cubic if you get it on the form ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0 for me ;)

If you can solve cubics, then the problem is solve a*y^3+b*y^2+c*y+d=0, where a=4, b=0, c=-3 and d=(-x). (-x) is just a constant. I think Zetison may actually be expected to solve the cubic. There is already one post detailing an explicit cubic solution. I gave up half way through. I couldn't handle it. I did an explicit cubic solution once in my life. Because I REALLY wanted an expression for the real root. I hope never to have to do it again.

Last edited:
Dick said:
If you can solve cubics, then the problem is solve a*y^3+b*y^2+c*y+d=0, where a=4, b=0, c=-3 and d=(-x). (-x) is just a constant. I think Zetison may actually be expected to solve the cubic. There is already one post detailing an explicit cubic solution. I gave up half way through. I couldn't handle it. I did an explicit cubic solution once in my life. Because I REALLY wanted an expression for the real root. I hope never to have to do it again.

Just for amusement I plugged that into Maple 10 and got this answer:

[tex] y = \frac{(x + \sqrt{-1+x^2})^{1/3}}{2} + \frac 1 {2(x+\sqrt{-1+x^2})^{1/3}} [/tex]

LCKurtz said:
Just for amusement I plugged that into Maple 10 and got this answer:

[tex] y = \frac{(x + \sqrt{-1+x^2})^{1/3}}{2} + \frac 1 {2(x+\sqrt{-1+x^2})^{1/3}} [/tex]

Makes no sense to me, because x is defined only in [-1,1]. While your equation is defined in (-infinite,-1]U[1,infinite)

Last edited:
No, the expression is actually defined for all x. You get imaginary numbers, but the first term is the conjugate of the second term, so the imaginary parts cancel. When cos and arccos are analytically continued to the complex plane, the expression

[tex]\cos \arccos x = x[/tex]

is true for all complex x (and in particular, for all real x).

So with other words:

http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/3 [Broken]
for all x and none irrational numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maple says:
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/capture.png [Broken]

It did not work. I still need help! :smile:

That's because you're equating the wrong things. The correct solution is given in post #7 by LCKurtz.

What you've done in post #11 is the following

[tex]
cos(1/3 \arccos(x))= 4\cos(x/3)^3 - 3\cos(x/3)
[/tex]

which is wrong. Just read your own post again (post #1).

No solution (without cheating like by using Maple) after 8 months? :confused:

You can solve this problem easily as follows.

Using the identity:

cos(x) = [exp(i x) + exp(-i x)]/2

express arccos(x) in terms of logarithms.

Then compute cos[1/3 arccos(x)] using the obtained expression for arccos(x) and the above identity for cos(x).

Hmmm, it shall be possible to write the equation without any logarithms.
If it is so easy, can you just write down the formula for me? :smile: I need it actually just to solv an other problem.

You've been given two methods. Either you solve the cubic equation or you use Count Iblis' method which is a lot faster. Perhaps it's time you show some work?

Belive me, I have tried. But I don't understand the answer i get if I use the 2. method:

[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary.jpg [Broken]

I want a answer without any imaginary parts. My x is defined only for [0,9], but when I cancel the imaginary part I do not get the right answer as demonstrated above...

Maybe you want to explain what you're doing instead of spitting out some maple math with some random numbers plugged in. I suggest once again that you use Count Iblis' method to derive the result instead of using some computer program.

Last edited:
Can you define Count Iblis' method for me?

Zetison said:
Can you define Count Iblis' method for me?

You obtain an expression for y = arccos(x) by solving the equation:

[exp(i y) + exp(-iy)]/2 = x

Putting z = exp(iy), yields:

z + 1/z = 2 x

Can you take it from here?

Ok, here is what I have done:
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary3.png [Broken]
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary2.png [Broken]
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary4.png [Broken]
But when I'm testing my result in maple I get "false":
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary5.png [Broken]

But even if it where true, how do I get an answer without imaginary parts?

Is it really no one that can give me an answer to this problem??

You have been given the answer and multiple methods to obtain the answer. What more do you want?

I want an answer to this problem:

Zetison said:
Ok, here is what I have done:
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary3.png [Broken]
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary2.png [Broken]
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary4.png [Broken]
But when I'm testing my result in maple I get "false":
[PLAIN]http://folk.ntnu.no/jonvegar/images/imaginary5.png [Broken]

But even if it where true, how do I get an answer without imaginary parts?

Your answer is correct. Maple cannot handle the test you make :smile:

You're using a very inconvenient form of the arccos, which complicates everything. Just solve [itex]2y=e^{i x}+e^{-i x}[/itex] for x. Then you will get a pretty nice expression for the arccos and all i-s will vanish.

How do you get an expression for x, when you got both eix and e-ix? And even if I get an expression for arccos without i-s, I still have to get rid of cos...

As far as I'm concerned the expresion you have fully answer your problem. All the rest is esthetics…

No. The problem is not solved because i still have not got rid of the i-s. And that is not a trivial thing to do in my expression...

No you don't. You stated your problem as getting rid of trigonometric functions. Mission accomplished :biggrin: Your expression with the i-s is more general since it extends to x<-1.

Zetison, this thread has been running for many months. Perhaps you should give a shot at what was suggested in post #26. Just make an appropriate substitution, [itex]z=e^{i x}[/itex] and solve for z.

Well, I can make a new thread where you have to get rid of the i-s...

This is not any schoolwork so I have all the time in the world :smile:

I have tried what's in post #26 with no result

How do you get an expression for x, when you got both eix and e-ix? And even if I get an expression for arccos without i-s, I still have to get rid of cos...

You will see it once you get there. Show your work and I will give you a hint to get past the point where you are stuck. Use the hint in post #31.

2y=eix+e-ix
z=eix
2y=z+z-1
2yz=z2+1
z2-2yz+1=0
z=(y+(y2-1)0,5) or z=(y-(y2-1)0,5)
eix=(y+(y2-1)0,5) or eix=(y-(y2-1)0,5)

ix=ln(y+(y2-1)0,5) or ix=ln(y-(y2-1)0,5)

x=i-1ln(y+(y2-1)0,5) or x=i-1ln(y-(y2-1)0,5)

Last edited:
See you can do it! Take the solution with the positive root and plug it into the exponential form of your original equation.

<h2>1. What does "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))" mean?</h2><p> This expression represents the cosine of one-third of the inverse cosine of the variable x. In simpler terms, it is a trigonometric function that involves taking the arccosine of x and then dividing it by three before taking the cosine of the result. </p><h2>2. How do I solve "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))"?</h2><p> To solve this expression, you can use the trigonometric identity cos(3x) = 4cos^3(x) - 3cos(x). This can be rearranged to cos(x) = (cos(3x) + 3)/4. Substituting this into the original expression gives cos((1/3)*arccos(x)) = (cos(arccos(x)) + 3)/4 = (x + 3)/4. </p><h2>3. What is the domain of "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))"?</h2><p> The domain of this expression is all real numbers between -1 and 1, inclusive. This is because the arccosine function is only defined for values between -1 and 1, and dividing by 3 does not change the domain. </p><h2>4. Can "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))" be simplified further?</h2><p> No, this expression cannot be simplified further. The trigonometric identity used to solve it is the simplest form. </p><h2>5. What is the range of "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))"?</h2><p> The range of this expression is all real numbers between -1/4 and 1/4, inclusive. This can be found by substituting the endpoints of the domain into the expression and finding the corresponding values. </p>

1. What does "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))" mean?

This expression represents the cosine of one-third of the inverse cosine of the variable x. In simpler terms, it is a trigonometric function that involves taking the arccosine of x and then dividing it by three before taking the cosine of the result.

2. How do I solve "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))"?

To solve this expression, you can use the trigonometric identity cos(3x) = 4cos^3(x) - 3cos(x). This can be rearranged to cos(x) = (cos(3x) + 3)/4. Substituting this into the original expression gives cos((1/3)*arccos(x)) = (cos(arccos(x)) + 3)/4 = (x + 3)/4.

3. What is the domain of "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))"?

The domain of this expression is all real numbers between -1 and 1, inclusive. This is because the arccosine function is only defined for values between -1 and 1, and dividing by 3 does not change the domain.

4. Can "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))" be simplified further?

No, this expression cannot be simplified further. The trigonometric identity used to solve it is the simplest form.

5. What is the range of "cos((1/3)*arccos(x))"?

The range of this expression is all real numbers between -1/4 and 1/4, inclusive. This can be found by substituting the endpoints of the domain into the expression and finding the corresponding values.