Solve Friction Problem: Find Force w/ Coefficient 0.3

• Thread starter -Physician
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the force of friction cannot be calculated without knowing the mass of the object. The coefficient of friction is independent of mass, but the force itself depends on the weight of the object. Without knowing the mass, it is impossible to solve for the force of friction.
-Physician

Homework Statement

A ball horizontally with an initial velocity of 5m/s,and the ball stops at 8.0m. Find the force of friction if the coefficient is 0.3.

Homework Equations

##F_net=ma##
##v^2=v_0^2 2ax##
## a=\frac{v_1^2 - v_0^2}{2ax}##
##f=μN##
##N=mg## (In this case the normal force is equal to weight.)

The Attempt at a Solution

## a=\frac{v_1^2 - v_0^2}{2ax}=\frac{-25\frac{m^2}{s^2}}{16m}=-1.56\frac{m}{s^2}##
##F_net=ma##
##f=ma##
##μN=ma##
##μmg=ma##
##μg=a##(Masses cancel out because the mass doesn't matter on rotary bodies.
##μg=a## I'm stuck here, how can I find the friction?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

how do you do this question without mass?

In rolling objects/bodies the mass doesn't matter.

Liquidxlax said:
how do you do this question without mass?

I agree. Since frictional force in this case depends on mg, it would be impossible to calculate it without mass.

The units for force are [itex]kg*m/s[/itex]2, so it would be unreasonable to ask one to calculate force without a mass.

As a side note, I was able to calculate two different accelerations using the formulas provided. Using [itex]v_{f}[/itex]2[itex]=2ad+v_{i}[/itex]2 I got the same acceleration that you had: -1.56.
Using the second equation using acceleration, [itex]μg=a[/itex], I got 2.94.

This fact alone makes me wonder if it is even possible, but it also implies that there is another force that we are not seeing that is affecting the motion of the ball.

In rolling objects/bodies the mass doesn't matter.

If you are talking about all rolling objects/bodies, then I am almost certain that you are wrong. The moment of inertia for objects is very much subject to mass and mass distribution.

Now back to the problem at hand. I can see the acceleration being independent, but not the force. I have actually been searching around the internet trying to find equations that would help solve this, but I was not successful. Though I did find this, courtesy of Wikipedia:

[itex]F_{r}=C_{rr}N[/itex]

where Fr is rolling resistance, Crr is the rolling resistance coefficient, and N is normal force. And again, the force is subject to the mass. Though I do not think this equation would be of use in this situation given the provided information anyway.

If possible, can you, or anyone, provide a link to a site that shows that friction in this case would be independent to mass? I would much like to correct myself if I am wrong.

I saw a video on youtube with this task, but the task was to find the coefficient, and I tried to give the coefficient and find friction, but I see it's impossible if we don't give the mass of the body. Video link:

Last edited by a moderator:
-Physician said:
I saw a video on youtube with this task, but the task was to find the coefficient, and I tried to give the coefficient and find friction, but I see it's impossible if we don't give the mass of the body. Video link:

Thank you for the link. Yeah, the video showed that the coefficient of friction is independent of mass not the force as we already know.

If the answer to this problem is provided, see if it has m within the answer. If it does, then you are set. If it doesn't, well, all I can say is that we have a long way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve Friction Problem: Find Force w/ Coefficient 0.3

1. What is friction and how does it affect objects?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other. It can slow down or prevent motion, and also causes wear and tear on surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object.

3. What is the significance of a coefficient of friction of 0.3?

A coefficient of friction of 0.3 indicates a moderate level of resistance between two surfaces. This means that it would require a significant amount of force to move an object over the surface.

4. How do you solve for force using a coefficient of friction of 0.3?

To solve for force, you would multiply the coefficient of friction by the weight of the object. This will give you the force required to overcome the friction and move the object.

5. Can the coefficient of friction change?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can change depending on the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and other factors such as temperature and surface roughness. It is important to accurately measure and account for these variables when calculating friction and force.