Solve Kinematics Homework on Spring:Q1,Q2

In summary: Since the block starts from rest, v = 0 and x = initial compression of spring (0.5m)--> μk = (kx^2)/(mgx) = (kx)/(mg) = (100 N/m * 0.5 m)/(2kg * 9.8 m/s^2) = 2.55
nahanksh

Homework Statement

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam2/fa09/fig8.gif

A small block having a mass of 2 kg is in contact with an ideal spring of relaxed length 1 m and spring constant k = 100 N/m . The spring is compressed to a length of 0.5 m. The block is released from rest at x = 0.5 m. At x = 1 m the mass leaves the spring and comes to rest at x = 2 m. Throughout its entire motion the block slides on a rough surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction μk .

Q1) The maximum acceleration of the block occurs the instant the block begins to move.
True/FalseQ2) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction of the surface?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, i thought the acceleration is at maximum when the spring is about to move(at x=0.5m)... 'cause i thought the friction force will be exerted after this point reducing the acceleration...
What's wrong in my thought?

And, for the second question, i tried to get the velocity when x=1m using energy-conservation theorem, and i got m*v^2 = k*x^2 and hence v = 3.53

Now i used the constant acceleration formula, the final velocity is zero, and initial v = 3.53,
a= μmg/2 and the displacement = 1.

But then i got the answer as 0.62 which is wrong...

What's wrong in here?Please help me out with those two questions...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nahanksh said:
For the first question, i thought the acceleration is at maximum when the spring is about to move(at x=0.5m)... 'cause i thought the friction force will be exerted after this point reducing the acceleration...
What's wrong in my thought?
The spring still exerts a force on the block during the 0.5m to 1m period and thus continues to supply it with energy.
nahanksh said:
And, for the second question, i tried to get the velocity when x=1m using energy-conservation theorem, and i got m*v^2 = k*x^2 and hence v = 3.53

Now i used the constant acceleration formula, the final velocity is zero, and initial v = 3.53,
a= μmg/2 and the displacement = 1.

But then i got the answer as 0.62 which is wrong...

What's wrong in here?
Your energy conservation equation is wrong because it fails to account for energy loss due to friction during the initial period.

Spring energy = Kinetic energy of uncompressed spring + change in thermal energy

Related to Solve Kinematics Homework on Spring:Q1,Q2

1. Why is kinematics important in studying motion?

Kinematics is important in studying motion because it helps us understand the physical laws and principles that govern the movement of objects. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

2. What is the difference between Q1 and Q2 in spring kinematics homework?

Q1 and Q2 refer to different types of problems in spring kinematics. Q1 typically involves finding the displacement, velocity, or acceleration of an object attached to a spring at a given time or position. Q2 usually deals with calculating the spring constant or solving for the maximum displacement or velocity of an object.

3. How do I approach solving kinematics problems involving springs?

The first step in solving kinematics problems involving springs is to identify the variables given in the problem and the ones you need to solve for. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles, such as Hooke's law, to set up and solve the problem. It is also helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the situation.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving spring kinematics problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert units to the correct system (e.g. converting time from seconds to minutes). Another mistake is using the wrong equation or misinterpreting the given variables. It is also important to check the direction of displacement, velocity, and acceleration to ensure they are consistent with the given problem.

5. Can kinematics be used to analyze more complex systems than just springs?

Yes, kinematics can be applied to analyze the motion of various systems, such as projectiles, pendulums, and rotational motion. It can also be used to study the motion of multiple objects or systems interacting with each other. The principles and equations used in kinematics are applicable to a wide range of physical phenomena.