Solve pH of NaOH + Acetic Acid Mixture

• Thread starter rmarsino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: If you know the pKa values of the two acids then you can simply plug those into a pH meter to find the pH. However, doing so here would be pointless as the concentrations of the acids and the base are equal. In summary, a buffer solution is made up of equal parts acetic acid and sodium hydroxide. The buffer will have a pH of about 7.0.
rmarsino

Homework Statement

What is the pH after 12.50 mL of 0.10 M NaOH has been added to 25.00 mL of 0.10 M acetic acid?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The concentration of each starting solution is the same. Acetic acid and sodium hydroxide react in a 1:1 mole ratio. One of those will be in excess when the quantities of solutions are mixed. Which one, and what concentration will it be?

Once you know what buffer is, and once you realize what is molar ratio of both reactants, you don't need any calculations to find out the answer.

&

Borek said:
Once you know what buffer is, and once you realize what is molar ratio of both reactants, you don't need any calculations to find out the answer.

Borek
--
pH calculator & buffer calculator

The exact truth would be a little different from that. Note that the solution will have unreacted acetic acid. 37.50 ml. of entire solution containing 0.0125*0.10 moles of unneutralized acetic acid. The salt present should likely not have much effect on pH. I'm assuming that there is enough acid present to overcome any effect of the salt, but I can't be sure unless I actually perform the analytical calculation-------- wait! Maybe this really IS a buffer solution, being half the moles are the salt and half the moles are the acetic acid. There is a simple way to find pH of this buffer using pK value, right?

symbolipoint said:
Maybe this really IS a buffer solution, being half the moles are the salt and half the moles are the acetic acid. There is a simple way to find pH of this buffer using pK value, right?

Bingo :smile: Hopefully rmarsino will get to this point as well.

In post #5, I began writing using only half my mind. The concept caught up with me as I wrote and figured. rmarsino, when you study equilibrium of weak acids and weak bases, you will learn about buffers. You will also learn how to find pH of solutions containing weak bases, weak acids, and weak acids or bases and salts of these.

I actually learned this stuff best when I was NOT enrolled in a course to learn it; but while I was reviewing on my own. For monoprotic or monofunctional compounds, this stuff is full of details, but not necessarily difficult. Learning it well takes time, patience, and much exercise and repetition.

These things are always done the same way from three-and-a-half principles, stated in

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1754973&postcount=3

You say you have no idea how to do. In general start by writing all the chemical species present. Then write what you know about their concentrations...

It is true that in this particular case there is a (instructive) shortcut as pointed out by symbolipoint.

Related to Solve pH of NaOH + Acetic Acid Mixture

What is the purpose of finding the pH of a NaOH + Acetic Acid mixture?

The pH of a solution is a measure of its acidity or basicity. Knowing the pH of a NaOH + Acetic Acid mixture can help determine the concentration of each component and how they will react with other substances.

How do you calculate the pH of a NaOH + Acetic Acid mixture?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant and [A-] and [HA] are the concentrations of the conjugate base and acid, respectively. In this case, [A-] would be the concentration of the acetate ion and [HA] would be the concentration of acetic acid.

What is the pKa value of acetic acid?

The pKa value of acetic acid is 4.76.

What is the pH of a mixture with equal concentrations of NaOH and acetic acid?

If the concentrations of NaOH and acetic acid are equal, the resulting pH of the mixture would be equal to the pKa value of acetic acid, which is 4.76.

How do you prepare a NaOH + Acetic Acid mixture with a specific pH?

To prepare a mixture with a specific pH, you would need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the required concentration of each component. For example, if you wanted a pH of 6, you would need to use a higher concentration of acetic acid compared to NaOH.