Solve pH & pKb Problems - Get Answers Now!

• Thread starter Blink691
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation covers three different problems involving titration and determining the pH of solutions. The first problem involves a dilution calculation and using the concentration of HCl to find the amount of H+ produced. The second problem uses the pH at equivalence point to find the molarity of the weak base and then uses the dissociation constant equation to find the Kb value. The last problem also involves a dilution calculation, but this time, the pH at equivalence point is used to find the [OH-] and then the pOH is calculated to find the pKw and ultimately the pH of the solution.
Blink691
HELP! I just need the steps to figured out these 3 problem. I have the answes but I can't seem to figure out how to do it and my notes aren't helping. thanks!

Determine the pH of a solution obtained by titrating 25.00 mL of a 0.107 M solution of a weak base using 75.25 mL of 0.100 M HCl( aq) as a titrant. (hint: this involves a dilution problem.)

answer is 1.32

65.5 mL of a 0.0670 M HCl( aq) solution were required to titrate a 25.00 mL sample of a weak base to its equivalence point. The pH at the equivalence point was 4.668. What is the pK b of the weak base? (assume pK w = 14.00) (Remember, pH at the equivalence point is based on total volume.)

answer is 5.98

Determine the pH of a solution obtained by titrating 25.00 mL of a 0.121 M solution of a weak monoprotic acid using 60.25 mL of 0.125 M NaOH( aq) as a titrant. (assume pK w = 14.00) (hint: this involves a dilution problem.)

answer is 12.72

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me help you with the 2nd exercise.

You have the titration's equivalence point, so you can find the molarity of the weak base:

[tex] \[
65.5ml \times 0.067M = 25ml \times M_b
\] [/tex]
...where the unknown there is molarity of weak base.

Now you also need formal concentration of the weak conjugate acid which formed, which I like to show as WHCl, with ions WH+ and Cl-.
For this weak acid, you have dissociation constant equation:
[tex] \[
K_a = \frac{{[H][W]}}{{[WHCl]}}
\] [/tex]
Please excuse the lack of signs in that Ka formula.

Since [H] is roughly close enough to [W-], you can also then say:
[tex] \[
K_a = \frac{{[H][H]}}{{0.04848 - [H]}}
\] [/tex]
... Do you know where the 0.04848 comes from?

Now you need to use pH at equivalence, given, to find [H] value.
Since pH = 4.668, [H]= [tex] \[
2.148 \times 10^{ - 5}
\] [/tex]

Are you with this now? You can now easily find Ka; from which you use Ka*Kb=Kw to find your Kb value.

For the first one, the HCl is in excess, so all of the base will be used up. You need to calculate the total number of moles of the base and the HCl (n/V=M), then subtract the moles of HCl by the moles of the weak base, and use that to calculate the amount of H+ produced. Don't forget to adjust the concentration of HCl to account for the combined volume. The [H+] will equal the remainder of the [HCl], since HCl is a strong acid and completely reacts.

The last one can be solved the same way as the first one, except you calculate [OH-] instead of [H+] so you will have to solve for p[OH-]. p[OH-] + p[H+] = pKw = 14

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Now you need to use pH at equivalence, given, to find [H] value.
Since pH = 4.668, [H]= [tex] \[
2.148 \times 10^{ - 5}
\] [/tex]

Why do you have [H] = 2.148 x 10^-5?

pH = -log[H]
4.668 = -log[H]
10^-4.668 = [H]

edit: Oh lol, I should've put that in my calculator before posting.. they're the same thing. I wasn't thinking straight.

What is pH and pKb?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, with a scale from 0 (most acidic) to 14 (most basic). pKb is the negative logarithm of the base dissociation constant, used to measure the strength of a base.

How do you calculate pH and pKb?

pH can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. pKb can be calculated using the formula pKb = -log[Kb], where Kb is the base dissociation constant.

What is the relationship between pH and pKb?

pH and pKb are related through the equation pKb + pH = 14. This means that as the pH of a solution increases, the pKb decreases, and vice versa.

What factors affect pH and pKb?

The concentration of hydrogen ions or hydroxide ions, the strength of the acid or base, and the temperature of the solution can all affect pH and pKb.

Why is it important to understand pH and pKb?

Understanding pH and pKb is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It allows us to understand the properties of acids and bases, and how they can affect the environment and living organisms. pH and pKb are also important in various industrial processes and in maintaining the pH balance in our bodies.