Solve RLC Circuit Problem - Get Help Now

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving finding the I(t) from I(ω) in a circuit with a given impedance. The conversation provides hints on using Ohm's law to calculate the total current and converting from phasor form to time domain. The final solution is not provided but the conversation gives helpful tips on how to approach the problem.
tiger95
Member warned about not using the homework template
Hello, I have to solve the following problem but I don't know how to find the I(t) from I(ω). I've already found that the total impedance of the circuit should be (1000/29)-j(255/29). Can anyone help me, please? I haven't done Integration and Derivatives. Thank you for your help.

Immagine.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello tiger95, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please note for future posts in the homework sections that it is mandatory to use the formatting template provided when the thread is started.

Since you have managed to calculate the impedance of the circuit (correct value but you forgot the units) then you should be able to use Ohm's law to find the total current. In phasor form the source voltage can be written as Vin = 2 V. That's a 2 V peak magnitude with no phase angle since the voltage source provides the reference angle. Peak values can be used here since you're not dealing with power calculations. If you were, you'd convert to RMS values.

Does that help you for part (a)?

If I use Ohm's Law to calculate I(t) the result would be: I(t) = V / Z = 2 / (1000/29)-j(255/29) = (80/1469) + j(102/7345) but there isn't the time in the answer. Moreover, I haven't understood why the current will have the same phase as the voltage.

tiger95 said:
If I use Ohm's Law to calculate I(t) the result would be: I(t) = V / Z = 2 / (1000/29)-j(255/29) = (80/1469) + j(102/7345) but there isn't the time in the answer. Moreover, I haven't understood why the current will have the same phase as the voltage.
It won't have the same phase as the voltage. The voltage acts as a reference for the phase. The current will have a phase with respect to the voltage. What's the polar form of the current that you calculated?

The current that you found is the phasor form of the current. Convert to time domain by writing it as a cosine function, just as the voltage was written. The angular frequency is the same as the source and you should have the phase from the polar form of the current phasor.

Here is how I managed to calculate I(ω) which I'm not sure it's right. Then, how can I change from I(ω) to I(t)?

Attachments

• IMG_20141202_095909.jpg
    IMG_20141202_095909.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 486
tiger95 said:
Here is how I managed to calculate I(ω) which I'm not sure it's right. Then, how can I change from I(ω) to I(t)?
You already have I(t). You've called it I(ω) but you should have been calling it I(t) or maybe I(ωt) from the very start.

Thanks to your hints, I managed to attempt a solution for the whole exercise. Can you confirm me that it's right, please?

Attachments

• IMG_20141203_195559.jpg
    IMG_20141203_195559.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 414

What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can be used to filter and shape electrical signals.

How do I solve an RLC circuit problem?

To solve an RLC circuit problem, you will need to use Kirchhoff's circuit laws, Ohm's law, and the equations for calculating the impedance of an RLC circuit. You will also need to understand the properties of each component and how they interact with each other.

What are the common issues when solving RLC circuit problems?

Some common issues when solving RLC circuit problems include incorrect use of equations, not considering the phase difference between voltage and current, and not accounting for the effects of resistance in the circuit.

Can I get help with solving RLC circuit problems?

Yes, there are many resources available for getting help with solving RLC circuit problems. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek help from a tutor or teacher.

Are there any tips for solving RLC circuit problems efficiently?

Yes, some tips for solving RLC circuit problems efficiently include drawing a clear and accurate circuit diagram, labeling all components and values, and breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and use the correct units in your answers.