Solve Rth for Circuit | Get Expert Help Now

• Engineering
  • Thread starter GBA13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about finding the Thevenin resistance for a circuit. The attempted solution involves omitting R3 and calculating the resistance of R1, R2, and R4 in series, along with R5 in parallel. However, it is pointed out that R3 cannot be omitted as there is no path from A to B that avoids it. The procedure for finding the Thevenin resistance is discussed, and it is mentioned that shorting the voltage supply does not make a difference in the resistance. It is clarified that R5 can be eliminated and the combined resistance of R1 and R4 is in series with R3 to make Rth 5.4 k Ohms. The conversation concludes with a successful resolution
GBA13

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am trying to find Rth for this circuit but I am not sure if I've got it right, could someone give a hand?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think R3 can be omitted and R1, 2, and 4 are in series so the answer is 10k Ohms as R5 is in parallel to what was the power source (now a wire) can be omitted as well?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 15.49.37.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 15.49.37.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
R3 cannot be omitted as there is no path from A to B that can avoid it.

What's the procedure for finding the Thevenin resistance of a circuit?

Really? I thought that when Vt has been replaced by a wire (as you do to fine Rth) then all the current can go through the new wire instead?

Inject a current at A and show how it can get to B without passing through R3. Shorting the voltage supply (replacing with a wire) does not make a difference there. It does, however, let you eliminate another resistance...

Oh sorry, I'm getting confused with R5. (You can get rid of R5 can't you?)

GBA13 said:
Oh sorry, I'm getting confused with R5. (You can get rid of R5 can't you?)
Yup. Suppressing the voltage source shorts out R5, so their combined resistance is 0 Ohms.

So then R1 and R4 are in series and that pair is in parallel to R2. That whole combination is then in series with R3 to make Rth 5.4 k Ohms? :)

GBA13 said:
So then R1 and R4 are in series and that pair is in parallel to R2. That whole combination is then in series with R3 to make Rth 5.4 k Ohms? :)
Yes! :approve:

Likes GBA13
gneill said:
Yes! :approve:

Yay! Thanks very much! :D

Related to Solve Rth for Circuit | Get Expert Help Now

1. What is Rth in a circuit?

Rth, or thermal resistance, is a measure of how much a material or component resists the flow of heat. In a circuit, it represents the resistance to heat flow between two points.

2. How do you solve for Rth in a circuit?

To solve for Rth in a circuit, you need to use the formula Rth = Vth/Isc, where Vth is the open-circuit voltage and Isc is the short-circuit current. These values can be obtained by performing a circuit analysis or by using data from the manufacturer.

3. Why is it important to know the Rth for a circuit?

Knowing the Rth for a circuit is important because it helps in determining the maximum temperature that a component can reach without failing. It also helps in designing and selecting components that can handle the appropriate amount of heat dissipation.

4. Can Rth change in a circuit?

Yes, Rth can change in a circuit due to various factors such as changes in ambient temperature, changes in the materials or components used, and changes in the circuit design. It is important to consider these factors when calculating and using Rth in a circuit.

5. How can an expert help with solving Rth for a circuit?

An expert can help by providing a thorough understanding of Rth and how it relates to the specific circuit being analyzed. They can also assist in performing complex circuit analyses and provide guidance on selecting appropriate components to ensure proper heat dissipation and temperature management.