Solve Tricky Integral: Get Pi/2 with Wolfram Alpha

• Thread starter capicue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving the integral \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^4(x)}{x^2}\, dx, with the conclusion being that using contour integration or reducing the integral to a sinc integral will yield the solution \frac{\pi}{2}, as confirmed by Wolfram Alpha.
capicue
I need a hint. Wolfram alpha says it equals pi/2, but I don't know how to get that.

\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^4(x)}{x^2}\, dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make a typo?

I don't think so. Here's the Wolfram alpha solution.

Are you familiar with contour integration?

Yes. I thought about trying something like that, but the usual substitution z = e^{ix} to write the sin part as an exponentials doesn't work with the x^2 on the bottom.

What were you thinking about with the contour integration?

My other thought was to try to relate it back to \int sin(x)/x which is something I can do.

I haven't worked it out but if you write out the sin^4 and then use contour integration it will probably work:
[tex] \sin^4\theta = \frac{3 - 4 \cos 2\theta + \cos 4\theta}{8}\ [/tex]

Last edited:
You're right, that would probably work. I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help!

Alternatively, I figured out how to reduce it:

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^4{x}}{x^2}\, dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{4 \sin^3{x} \cos{x}}{x}\, dx
[/tex]
(IBP)
[tex]
= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{2x}(1 - \cos{2x})}{x}\, dx
[/tex]
(trig identities)
[tex]
= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{2x}}{x}\, dx - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{4x}}{2x}\, dx
[/tex]
[tex]
= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{x}}{x}\, dx - \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{x}}{x}\, dx
[/tex]
(change of variables)
[tex]
= \pi - \frac{\pi}{2}
[/tex]
(sinc integral)

Yes, well found!

Related to Solve Tricky Integral: Get Pi/2 with Wolfram Alpha

1. How do you solve a tricky integral using Wolfram Alpha?

To solve a tricky integral using Wolfram Alpha, you can input the integral into the search bar and click "solve." Wolfram Alpha will then show you the step-by-step solution, including any substitutions or manipulations needed to get to the final answer.

2. Can Wolfram Alpha solve any type of integral?

Wolfram Alpha has a vast database of mathematical algorithms and can solve a wide range of integrals, including tricky ones. However, there may be some integrals that are too complex for Wolfram Alpha to solve accurately.

3. What is the benefit of using Wolfram Alpha to solve an integral?

One of the main benefits of using Wolfram Alpha to solve integrals is that it can provide step-by-step solutions, making it easier for users to understand the process and learn from it. Additionally, Wolfram Alpha can solve integrals much faster and more accurately than doing it by hand.

4. Are there any limitations to using Wolfram Alpha to solve integrals?

While Wolfram Alpha is a powerful tool for solving integrals, it may not be able to solve every integral accurately. Some integrals may be too complex for the algorithms used by Wolfram Alpha, or there may be errors in the input that can affect the accuracy of the solution.

5. Can I use Wolfram Alpha to check my own manual solution of an integral?

Yes, you can use Wolfram Alpha to check your own manual solution of an integral. Simply input your solution into the search bar and compare it to the solution provided by Wolfram Alpha. This can help you identify any errors in your solution or confirm its accuracy.