Solving 1+x^4=0: Finding the Singular Points

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the singular points of the function 1/(1+z^4). The person is struggling to remember how to solve the equation 1+x^4=0 to get complex roots. They mention using substitution and an alternative representation of complex numbers, as well as decomposition to reach a solution.
Logarythmic
I think I've got some minor braindamage or something but i just can't remember how to find the singular points of

1/(1+z^4)

I guess the problem is to solve the equation 1+x^4=0 and get complex roots but this is what I don't remember how to do. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start off by substituting v=x2, and try to go from there

Or swith to an easier, but equivalent, representation of the complex number z (think exponential/polar/...)

Write x^4 = -1 and try to follow what you think is the simplest path without involving anything fancy.

Well, use the decomposition

[tex]z^4 +1 =(z^2 +i)(z^2 -i) [/tex]

Daniel.

Related to Solving 1+x^4=0: Finding the Singular Points

1. What is the definition of a singular point?

A singular point is a point on a graph or curve where the function is not defined or is discontinuous. In other words, it is a point where the function has no derivative or has an infinite derivative.

2. How do you find the singular points of a function?

To find the singular points of a function, set the derivative of the function equal to 0 and solve for x. The values of x that satisfy this equation are the singular points.

3. What is the significance of finding singular points in solving equations?

Finding singular points can help determine the behavior of a function at certain points and can also help identify any discontinuities in the function. This information can be useful in solving equations and understanding the overall behavior of the function.

4. Can a function have more than one singular point?

Yes, a function can have multiple singular points. This is especially common in functions with complex or higher order derivatives.

5. Are all singular points also critical points?

No, not all singular points are also critical points. A critical point is a point where the derivative of the function is equal to 0, while a singular point is a point where the derivative is either undefined or infinite.