Solving 2 Simple Force Problems: Understanding Force Magnitude and Application

• Thread starter musicfairy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
Good luck on your test.In summary, the first problem involves two blocks (A and B) on a horizontal frictionless surface with a 36-N constant force applied to block A. The magnitude of the force of A on B is 30 N, not 6.0 N as initially calculated. This is because both blocks have the same acceleration and the force applied to the composite system is distributed between the two blocks. For the second problem, the magnitude of the force between two blocks (m and M) pushed along a horizontal frictionless surface by a force F is mF/(m+M). The acceleration of both blocks can be found using F=ma, where m is (M+m).
musicfairy
There's two force problems I couldn't get on my study guide.

1. Two blocks (A and B) are in contact on a horizontal frictionless surface. A 36-N constant force is applied to A as shown. The magnitude of the force of A on B is:

There is a picture. Block B is on the right of Block A. 36N is applied to block A. Block A = 4.0kg and block B = 20kg.

A. 1.5 N
B. 6.0 N
C. 29 N
D. 30 N
E. 36 N

What I did is:

F = (mA + mB)a
a = 36 / (4.0 + 20)
a = 3/2 m/s2

FAB = 4.0(3/2)
= 6.0 N

The correct answer is D. 30N. I can see where it comes from. I thought "the magnitude of the force of A on B" means I should multiply mA and a to get the force, but to get 30 N they multiplied mB and a. Why?

2. Two blocks with masses m and M are pushed along a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal applied force F as shown. The magnitude of the force of either of these blocks on the other is:

In this picture. M and m are in contact. m is on the right of M. Force F is applied to M.

A. mF/(m + M)
B. mF/M
C. mF/(M - m)
D. MF/(m + M)
E. MF/m

The correct answer is A. I don't even know how to start this problem. I tried to solve for a and substitute but that failed. Any ideas?

These came from a study guide I was given in class. I thought I knew this topic well but these problems really scare me. Can someone please explain these to me? I have a test coming up pretty soon. I read this section in the book, but sometimes I can't apply what I read to every problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
musicfairy said:
There's two force problems I couldn't get on my study guide.

1. Two blocks (A and B) are in contact on a horizontal frictionless surface. A 36-N constant force is applied to A as shown. The magnitude of the force of A on B is:

There is a picture. Block B is on the right of Block A. 36N is applied to block A. Block A = 4.0kg and block B = 20kg.

A. 1.5 N
B. 6.0 N
C. 29 N
D. 30 N
E. 36 N

What I did is:

F = (mA + mB)a
a = 36 / (4.0 + 20)
a = 3/2 m/s2

FAB = 4.0(3/2)
= 6.0 N

The correct answer is D. 30N. I can see where it comes from. I thought "the magnitude of the force of A on B" means I should multiply mA and a to get the force, but to get 30 N they multiplied mB and a. Why?
The blocks are in contact with each other so when the force is applied to the composite system, both parts must have the same acceleration. The force being applied to the composite system happens on block A, but block A also exerts a force on block B to make it accelerate. We know that block B must have the same acceleration as block A so the force acting block B must be equal to mba.

For the second problem, it can be solved the same as the first one.

The acceleration of both blocks together can be found using F = ma, where m is (M + m).

Once you find the acceleration, you can multiply by m to get mF/M+m

You multiply by m and not M for the same reason the above poster explained.

Hope this helps

Related to Solving 2 Simple Force Problems: Understanding Force Magnitude and Application

What is a simple force problem?

A simple force problem is a physics question that involves finding the net force acting on an object. It usually involves calculating the sum of all the forces acting on an object and determining the direction of that net force.

What are the two types of forces involved in simple force problems?

The two types of forces involved in simple force problems are contact forces and non-contact forces. Contact forces are those that involve physical contact between two objects, such as friction or normal force. Non-contact forces are those that act without direct contact, such as gravity or magnetic force.

How do you calculate the net force in a simple force problem?

The net force in a simple force problem is calculated by adding all the forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger force to find the net force.

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces in a simple force problem?

In a simple force problem, balanced forces have a net force of zero, meaning that all the forces acting on an object cancel each other out. Unbalanced forces, on the other hand, have a net force that is not equal to zero, resulting in the object moving in the direction of the larger force.

What are some real-world examples of simple force problems?

Some real-world examples of simple force problems include a book resting on a table (balanced forces), a car accelerating on a flat road (unbalanced forces), and a magnet pulling a paperclip towards it (non-contact force).