Solving a Differential Eq using Laplace and Unit-Step function

In summary, the student is having trouble with the Laplace transform of the unit step function and is looking for help.
Saladsamurai
!Solving a Differential Eq using Laplace and Unit-Step function

Homework Statement

I am having a terrible time just starting this. I need some explanation here. I have given up on the text I am using...

I need to solve the following piecewise function using Laplace and Unit-Step function:

y"+4y=f(t) y(0)=-1, y'(0)=0

where f(t)= t, t<2
5, t>2

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I condensed it to one line using the Unit Step function giving:

[itex]y''+4y=t-t*U(t-2)+5*U(t-2)[/itex]

Applying Laplace to the LHS is easy enough, but what is the Laplace of the unit step function? I am having a hard tome extrapolating it from the text.

So far I have

[itex]s^2Y(s)-sy(0)-y'(0)+4Y(s)=\frac{1}{s^2}-?[/itex]

Could somebody help me out with the "U" terms here?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
SKIP AHEAD TO POST #10 That is where I need help

Last edited:
Can somebody please help me with the Laplace Transform

[tex]L(-t*U(t-2))[/tex]

I cannot figure this out!

Saladsamurai said:
Can somebody please help me with the Laplace Transform

[tex]L(-t*U(t-2))[/tex]

Is this even "Laplacable"? I guess I do not understand the rules

nobody has any advice?

Since the U(t-2) just changes the limits of integration to 2 to infinity, rather than 0 to infinity, you need to change the variable from x to u= x- 2 to get back the 0 limit.

Doing that gives a general rule that the Laplace transform of f(x)U(x-a) is e-asF(s) where F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(x).

So for [itex]-t*U(t-2)[/itex] I should get [itex]e^{-2s}*-\frac{1}{s^2}[/itex]?

I don't think this is correct...

HallsofIvy said:
Since the U(t-2) just changes the limits of integration to 2 to infinity, rather than 0 to infinity, you need to change the variable from x to u= x- 2 to get back the 0 limit.

Doing that gives a general rule that the Laplace transform of f(x)U(x-a) is e-asF(s) where F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(x).

Halls, I just found this in my text as a side note. It would appear that the Laplace of f(t)*U(t-a)=e^{-as}*L{g(t+a)} ... not just +L{g(t)}

Okay so I have got it down to this point:

[tex]Y(s)[s^2+4]=\frac{1}{s^2}-e^{-2s}*\frac{1}{(s+2)^2}+5e^{-2s}*\frac{1}{s+2}-s[/tex]

I was going to write the RHS over the LCD and then divide out by [s^2+4] ...sound good? ... there must be a neater way to so this... isn't there? This looks like it will get very sloppy very quick!

Last edited:
This equation is B.S. F#$k this.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is commonly used to model dynamic systems in various fields of science and engineering.

What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. It is particularly useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients.

How is the Laplace transform used to solve differential equations?

The Laplace transform is used to convert the differential equation into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using basic algebraic techniques. Once the solution is obtained, the inverse Laplace transform is applied to convert the solution back into the original function.

What is the Unit-Step function?

The Unit-Step function, also known as the Heaviside function, is a mathematical function that is zero for negative values and one for positive values. It is commonly used in the Laplace transform to simplify the solution of differential equations.

How does the Unit-Step function help in solving differential equations using Laplace transform?

The Unit-Step function helps in solving differential equations by simplifying the integration process in the Laplace transform. It allows us to break down the original function into smaller, more manageable parts, making it easier to solve the differential equation.