Solving a Lever System Problem: Force, Fulcrum, & Equilibrium

• Thread starter MACHO-WIMP
  • Start date
In summary, the lever system has a mechanical advantage of 1/5. To avoid damaging the wood sliver, the tweezers must be held 4/5 of an inch from the fulcrum.
MACHO-WIMP
The problem in my packet says, "A medical technician uses a pair of four inch longtweezers to remove a wood sliver from a patient. The technician is applying one pound of squeezing force to the tweezers. If more than 1/5 lb of force is applied to the silver, it will break and become difficult to remove.

a. Sketch and annotate the lever system described above.
b. What is the actual mechanical advantage of the system?
c. Using static equilibrium calculations, calculate how far from the fulcrum the tweezers must be held to avoid damaging the sliver. "

I don't understand how this problem can be done or if there is enough information to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Tweezers can be considered a kind of lever. (Actually a pair of levers.) Where's the fulcrum?

I know it's two 3rd class levers, but I don't think there is enough information to solve, because it doesn't say where the pound of force is applied

MACHO-WIMP said:
I know it's two 3rd class levers, but I don't think there is enough information to solve, because it doesn't say where the pound of force is applied
You should be able to figure where it's applied, so as to produce a 1/5 pound force at the tips. Make the assumption that the technician wants to apply exactly that much force to the sliver. (Though it's true that it doesn't state that.)

So would the 1/5 lb of force be considered the resistance force?

MACHO-WIMP said:
So would the 1/5 lb of force be considered the resistance force?
Yes, the load or resistance force.

If my math is right, I got AMA=1/5 and the distance needed to be held is 4/5 of an inch. Does that sound about right?

MACHO-WIMP said:
If my math is right, I got AMA=1/5 and the distance needed to be held is 4/5 of an inch. Does that sound about right?
Sounds good to me.

Doc Al said:
Sounds good to me.

Thanks a lot man. You were a big help.

Related to Solving a Lever System Problem: Force, Fulcrum, & Equilibrium

What is a lever system?

A lever system is a simple machine that consists of a rigid object (the lever) that rotates around a fixed point (the fulcrum). It is used to amplify or redirect an applied force in order to perform work.

What are the components of a lever system?

A lever system has three main components: the force, the fulcrum, and the load. The force is the effort applied to the lever, the fulcrum is the pivot point around which the lever rotates, and the load is the object being moved or lifted by the lever.

How do you determine the force required to achieve equilibrium in a lever system?

In order to achieve equilibrium in a lever system, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This means that the force required to achieve equilibrium can be determined by multiplying the distance from the fulcrum to the applied force by the magnitude of the applied force, and then dividing by the distance from the fulcrum to the load.

What is the principle of moments in a lever system?

The principle of moments states that for a lever system to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This principle is based on the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

How can you use a lever system to increase mechanical advantage?

A lever system can be used to increase mechanical advantage by adjusting the distance from the fulcrum to the applied force or the distance from the fulcrum to the load. By increasing the distance from the fulcrum to the applied force, the force required to achieve equilibrium decreases. Similarly, by decreasing the distance from the fulcrum to the load, the force required to achieve equilibrium also decreases. This allows for a smaller applied force to lift or move a larger load.