Solving a Second Order Circuit for Capacitor Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses different techniques for solving a problem and the use of memorization in the provided solution. The individual also shares their own attempt at solving the problem using nodal analysis and identifies a mistake in their method. They later correct their mistake and confirm that their solution is correct.
Vishera

Homework Statement

upload_2014-10-10_11-20-43.png

upload_2014-10-10_11-20-49.png

Homework Equations

Here is the technique I am using:

upload_2014-10-10_11-21-43.png

The Attempt at a Solution

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

[/B]
I understand how to solve the problem using the technique provided by the solution but I was wondering where I messed up in the technique that I used. I prefer the second technique because there is less memorization.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question? The provided solution looks pretty thorough except that they didn't explicitly state the steady-state solution.

gneill said:
Did you have a question? The provided solution looks pretty thorough except that they didn't explicitly state the steady-state solution.

The problem is that the provided solution doesn't derive the differential equations from scratch. It uses equations that we are supposed to memorize. I would prefer to just solve the problem from scratch instead of plugging in and chugging. I am trying to derive the differential equations from scratch and I did so but my final solution is incorrect.

When I do nodal analysis I see:
$$\frac{v}{R} + \frac{1}{L} \int v\;dt + C \frac{dv}{dt} = 0 $$
Clear the integral by differentiating the whole thing:
$$\frac{1}{R} \frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{1}{L} v + C \frac{d^2 v}{dt^2} = 0$$
$$\frac{d^2 v}{dt^2} + \frac{1}{R C} \frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{1}{L C} v = 0$$
Plugging in component values and changing notation:
RC = 1
LC = 1/4

thus:

v'' + v' + 4v = 0

So you have complex conjugate roots, not a double real root. This makes sense since the circuit is underdamped.

gneill said:
When I do nodal analysis I see:
$$\frac{v}{R} + \frac{1}{L} \int v\;dt + C \frac{dv}{dt} = 0 $$
Clear the integral by differentiating the whole thing:
$$\frac{1}{R} \frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{1}{L} v + C \frac{d^2 v}{dt^2} = 0$$
$$\frac{d^2 v}{dt^2} + \frac{1}{R C} \frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{1}{L C} v = 0$$
Plugging in component values and changing notation:
RC = 1
LC = 1/4

thus:

v'' + v' + 4v = 0

So you have complex conjugate roots, not a double real root. This makes sense since the circuit is underdamped.

I just did it this way and it seems to be correct. Is there anything I did wrong with my method?

Actually, I think I figured out what I did wrong. I substituted C=0.25 instead of C=1 and I substituted L=1 instead of L=0.25. Opps.

Last edited:

1. What is a second order circuit?

A second order circuit is an electrical circuit that contains two energy storage elements, such as capacitors or inductors. These elements cause the circuit to exhibit second order differential equations, meaning that the voltage or current in the circuit depends on the second derivative of time.

2. How do I solve a second order circuit for capacitor voltage?

To solve a second order circuit for capacitor voltage, you will need to use Kirchhoff's laws and apply them to the circuit. This will result in a differential equation that can be solved using techniques such as Laplace transforms or differential equations. Once you have the solution to the differential equation, you can then find the capacitor voltage at any point in time.

3. What is the purpose of solving a second order circuit for capacitor voltage?

The purpose of solving a second order circuit for capacitor voltage is to understand the behavior of the circuit over time. By solving for the capacitor voltage, you can determine how the voltage changes over time and make predictions about the circuit's performance. This is important in many applications, such as designing electronic circuits or analyzing the behavior of electrical systems.

4. What are some common techniques for solving second order circuits for capacitor voltage?

Some common techniques for solving second order circuits for capacitor voltage include using Kirchhoff's laws, Laplace transforms, and differential equations. Other methods, such as using MATLAB or circuit simulation software, can also be useful in solving these types of circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to solving a second order circuit for capacitor voltage?

Yes, there are some limitations to solving a second order circuit for capacitor voltage. For example, the circuit must be linear, meaning that the components must follow Ohm's law and their behavior cannot change based on the voltage or current passing through them. Additionally, the circuit must be time-invariant, meaning that its behavior does not change over time. If these conditions are not met, the solutions for capacitor voltage may not be accurate.