Solving an indefinite integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability of excitation of an atom from the ground state to an excited state using a contour integral. The speaker suggests using calculus of residues to evaluate the integral, but also notes that it is an improper integral, not an indefinite one.
GAGS

Homework Statement

1. The calculation of the probability of excitation of an atom originally in the
ground state to an excited state, involves the contour integral
INTEGRAL(-INF TO +INF) [S exp(iwt)/(t2 + s2)2dt
Evaluate the above integral.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt: what i know that LAPLACE TRANSFORM OF (COS at) = s/(s2+ a2)
Moreover this integral is looking inverse FOURIER TRANSFORM, But how to solve it. I am not getting it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you mentioned the term "contour integral" and then wrote an integral over the real axis. So I guess the point is that you make it into a contour integral (close the integration by an infinitely large semi-arc in the complex plane) and use calculus of residues to evaluate it. Have you seen / done this before?

<nitpick>By the way, it is an improper integral, but not an indefinite one.</nitpick>

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents the antiderivative or the family of functions that when differentiated, produce the given function. It is denoted by the integral symbol ∫ and does not have upper and lower limits.

How do I solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to follow the rules of integration and use techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions. It is also important to remember to add a constant of integration at the end of the solution.

Why is solving an indefinite integral important?

Solving an indefinite integral is important because it helps in finding the original function from its derivative. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

What are the common mistakes made when solving an indefinite integral?

Some common mistakes made when solving an indefinite integral include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic simplifications, and incorrectly applying integration rules.

Can I use a calculator or software to solve an indefinite integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator or software to solve an indefinite integral. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in solving indefinite integrals before relying on technology. Additionally, it is always recommended to check your solutions by hand to avoid any errors.