Solving Electronics Problem: 1N4737 Zener Diode and Radio Circuit

In summary, a 1N4737 zener diode with a 7.5 V zener voltage and 1 W power dissipation is used in a circuit to regulate the voltage to a small radio circuit requiring a constant voltage of 7.5 V. The maximum current that can pass through the diode without exceeding the power rating is 0.13A. The maximum current that can be drawn by the radio in this circuit is unknown. The minimum value of the dropping resistor is 57.69 ohms. If a resistor of lower value is used, it could result in the current exceeding the power rating. A higher value resistor could reduce the voltage supplied to the radio circuit.
TyErd

Homework Statement

A 1N4737 zener diode has a 7.5 V zener voltage and is rated at 1 W power dissipation. It is
to be used in the circuit shown at right to regulate the voltage to a small radio circuit which
requires a constant voltage of 7.5 V. The supply voltage can vary between 9 V and 12 V.

a. What is the maximum current that can pass through the diode without exceeding the
power rating?
b. What is the maximum current that can be drawn by the radio in this circuit?
c. What is the minimum value of the dropping resistor, Rd, that can be used in this circuit?
d. What could happen if a resistor of lower value was used?
e. Why not use a higher value resistor?

I don't get it at all. I need your help!

I understand that part a is simply I=P/V which means current will be 0.13A

Homework Equations

P=VI V=IR P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Dont even know where to start with part b.

Attachments

• circuit1.JPG
    circuit1.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 320
Physics news on Phys.org
Part c, I know V=IR, so the minimum value of Rd would be 7.5V/0.13A = 57.69. Part d, If a resistor of lower value was used, then the current would be higher than 0.13A, thus exceeding the power rating of the diode. For part e, I assume that a higher value resistor would result in a larger voltage drop across the resistor, thus reducing the voltage supplied to the radio circuit.

Related to Solving Electronics Problem: 1N4737 Zener Diode and Radio Circuit

1. What is a 1N4737 Zener diode and how does it work?

A 1N4737 Zener diode is a type of semiconductor device that is designed to regulate voltage in an electronic circuit. It works by allowing current to flow in the forward direction like a regular diode, but also allowing current to flow in the reverse direction when a certain voltage, known as the Zener voltage, is reached. This allows the Zener diode to maintain a constant voltage across its terminals, even when the input voltage changes.

2. How is a 1N4737 Zener diode typically used in a radio circuit?

A 1N4737 Zener diode can be used in a radio circuit as a voltage regulator to ensure that the circuit operates at a consistent voltage. It can also be used in conjunction with other components, such as resistors and capacitors, to create a voltage reference for precise tuning of the radio frequency.

3. What are the key specifications to consider when selecting a 1N4737 Zener diode for a radio circuit?

When selecting a 1N4737 Zener diode for a radio circuit, it is important to consider the Zener voltage, which should be close to the desired operating voltage of the circuit. Other key specifications include the maximum power dissipation, reverse breakdown voltage, and temperature coefficient. It is important to choose a Zener diode with specifications that are suitable for the specific application and operating conditions.

4. Can a 1N4737 Zener diode be used to protect a radio circuit from overvoltage?

Yes, a 1N4737 Zener diode can be used as a protective device in a radio circuit to prevent overvoltage damage. When connected in reverse polarity, the Zener diode will start conducting and limit the voltage to its Zener voltage. This protects the components in the circuit from being exposed to excessive voltage levels.

5. How can I troubleshoot a problem with a 1N4737 Zener diode in a radio circuit?

If there is a problem with the 1N4737 Zener diode in a radio circuit, it is important to first check if the diode is connected correctly and if it is the correct type for the circuit. Then, using a multimeter, the Zener voltage and reverse breakdown voltage can be measured to ensure they are within the specified range. If the diode is still not functioning properly, it may need to be replaced.