Solving Faraday's Disk: Induced Voltage & Max Current

In summary, the problem involves a Faraday's disc with known values for the magnetic field strength (B), the radius of the axle (r1), the radius of the disc (r2), and the resistance (R). The disc is rotating at 1000 rpm and the goal is to find the induced voltage between r1 and r2 and the maximum current through the resistor. Using the equation eind=∫(v×B)dl, integration is performed from r1 to r2 to find the induced voltage, which is determined to be ωB(r2^2 - r1^2)/2. The relation between the speed of rotation and the angular velocity is needed, which is found to be v=
cdummie

Homework Statement

Faraday's disk with radius of axle r1 and radius of disc r2 is shown in the picture below. Disc rotates in the homogenous magnetic field whose vector B is vertical to the disc. If disc is spinning 1000 rpm find induced voltage between r1 and r2 and what is maximal value of current through the resistor. Known values are: B=1T, r1=1cm, r2=20cm and R=10 Ω.

Screenshot_1.png

Homework Equations

eind=∫(v×B)dl

The Attempt at a Solution

Eind=v×B=vBsin(v,B)

if there's 1000 rpm that is 16.7 rps and that is what i don't know, what to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
cdummie said:

Homework Statement

Faraday's disk with radius of axle r1 and radius of disc r2 is shown in the picture below. Disc rotates in the homogenous magnetic field whose vector B is vertical to the disc. If disc is spinning 1000 rpm find induced voltage between r1 and r2 and what is maximal value of current through the resistor. Known values are: B=1T, r1=1cm, r2=20cm and R=10 Ω.

View attachment 87128

Homework Equations

eind=∫(v×B)dl

Just perform the integration from l = r1 to l = r2. What is v(l)?

rude man said:
Just perform the integration from l = r1 to l = r2. What is v(l)?
Ok, this is what i have:

eind=∫(v×B)dl (i can't put limits of integration here but they are r1 lower and r2 upper limit)

Eind=v×B=vBsin(v,B) , since there's no data about direction of the rotation i will assume it's counterclockwise (even though i think it doesn't matter because even if direction of ω is clockwise, angle between v and B would remain 90 degrees)
anyway,

Eind=vB=ωrB since v=ωr, direction of Eind[/SUB is radial.

Now, back to eind

eind=∫ωrBdl*cos(Eind,dl) since both Eind and dl are radial (it also means i can write dl as dr) then cosine between them is 1, so i have:

eind=∫ωrBdr (again, limits of integration are: r1 lower and r2 upper)

eind=ωB(r22 r21)/2

Now, i have B and i have both r1 and r2 but i don't know how is the fact that disc is spinning 1000rpm is related to angular velocity (ω), that is the only thing missing, i mean, it's what i don't understand.

Now for the current through the resistor, it is just:

I=eind/R correct me if i made a mistake somewhere, but main problem is that i don't know the relation between speed of spinning and angular velocity.

cdummie said:
Eind=v×B=vBsin(v,B) , since there's no data about direction of the rotation i will assume it's counterclockwise (even though i think it doesn't matter because even if direction of ω is clockwise, angle between v and B would remain 90 degrees)
Right, but the polarity of the voltage will be determined by the direction of rotation.
Now, i have B and i have both r1 and r2 but i don't know how is the fact that disc is spinning 1000rpm is related to angular velocity (ω), that is the only thing missing, i mean, it's what i don't understand.
Angular velocity is radians per second. rpm is rotations per minute.
How many radians in 1 rotation?
How many seconds in 1 minute? You've done well so far, this should be a gimme. Like figuring out mph vs. ft per second!
You wrote v = ωr, you need to fully understand this relationship. Why is v = ωr?
Otherwise - good!
For one way to better understanding the physics, think of the disc as comprising a lot of thin radial wires each separated by thin insulation. The wires are thus all connected in parallel so the voltage is the same for all wires as they cut the flux lines of B. You learned emf = (B x l)⋅v I'm sure for a length of wire l. Least that's how I think of the Faraday disc.

rude man said:
Right, but the polarity of the voltage will be determined by the direction of rotation.

Angular velocity is radians per second. rpm is rotations per minute.
How many radians in 1 rotation?
How many seconds in 1 minute? You've done well so far, this should be a gimme. Like figuring out mph vs. ft per second!
You wrote v = ωr, you need to fully understand this relationship. Why is v = ωr?
Otherwise - good!
For one way to better understanding the physics, think of the disc as comprising a lot of thin radial wires each separated by thin insulation. The wires are thus all connected in parallel so the voltage is the same for all wires as they cut the flux lines of B. You learned emf = (B x l)⋅v I'm sure for a length of wire l. Least that's how I think of the Faraday disc.

Well, in one rotation there's 2π radians, since one rotation means one full circle, and there's 60s in one minute, so i have to multiply value i have for rpm with radians and then divide it by 60. The way i think of relation v=ωr is that v is velocity as if the object that spins with angular velocity ω stops going around making circles because the whole system stops spinning and the object being there spinning along with the system (Faraday's disc in this case) just slips off, and the direction where it goes after that is the direction that vector v has at that point (this is the way i think of it). Since, in cases like this vectors r and ω are orthogonal it means that their cross product will give the direction of vector v at any point along the circle. Anyway, thanks a lot for the help!

cdummie said:
Well, in one rotation there's 2π radians, since one rotation means one full circle, and there's 60s in one minute, so i have to multiply value i have for rpm with radians and then divide it by 60. The way i think of relation v=ωr is that v is velocity as if the object that spins with angular velocity ω stops going around making circles because the whole system stops spinning and the object being there spinning along with the system (Faraday's disc in this case) just slips off, and the direction where it goes after that is the direction that vector v has at that point (this is the way i think of it). Since, in cases like this vectors r and ω are orthogonal it means that their cross product will give the direction of vector v at any point along the circle. Anyway, thanks a lot for the help!
That sounds OK, at least your computation of ω is. But perhaps you're complicating the formula v = ωr. Think of a round race track, radius r. You're running around it with ω. Should be clear that your ground speed is v = ωr, ω in rad/s, r in meters, v in m/s.

Likes cdummie

1. What is Faraday's Disk?

Faraday's Disk is a scientific apparatus designed by Michael Faraday to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetic induction. It consists of a copper disk rotating between two magnetic poles, creating a changing magnetic field and inducing a current in the disk.

2. How is voltage induced in Faraday's Disk?

Voltage is induced in Faraday's Disk through the process of electromagnetic induction. As the disk rotates, it cuts through the magnetic field lines, creating a changing magnetic flux. This changing magnetic flux then induces a voltage in the disk, according to Faraday's law of induction.

3. What factors affect the induced voltage in Faraday's Disk?

The induced voltage in Faraday's Disk is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the disk, and the number of turns in the wire connected to the disk.

4. How is the maximum current determined in Faraday's Disk?

The maximum current in Faraday's Disk is determined by the resistance of the wire connected to the disk and the induced voltage. According to Ohm's law, the current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance. Therefore, the maximum current can be calculated by dividing the induced voltage by the resistance.

5. What are the practical applications of Faraday's Disk?

Faraday's Disk has many practical applications, including generating electricity in power plants, producing motion in electric motors, and detecting magnetic fields in devices such as metal detectors and MRI machines. It is also used in educational settings to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetic induction.