Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solving for Simultaneity problem

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How fast must the observer be moving in the +x-axis direction so that events A and B occur simultaneously?

2. Relevant equations
    I am currently in the solving stage of this problem and I need some help factoring this out/entering it into Octave. Can anyone help?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am currently nearing the end of the (*hopefully) working solution. I am currently here:

1.296e33=v^2(9e16-v^2)

How do I solve from here either by hand, or by entering it into MATLAB/Octave? I appreciate all help! Thank you very much for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In relativity, it's generally better to solve for β=v/c rather than v alone. It just keeps things neater. In your case, if you divide by c4, you'll get

[tex]\beta^2(1-\beta^2) = 0.16[/tex]

This is a quadratic in β2. Solve for β2 by factoring, if possible, or by using the quadratic equation.

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    Thank you for your reply. However, by entering that function into my calculator, I find that the function has 4 zeros. Even if I assume that the velocity cannot be negative (because we're moving in the +x direction), I still have two values that are directly proportional by a factor of 2. How do I determine which one it is? The values end up being 0.447214c and 0.89443c FYI. Thanks.

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I can't say as I don't know how you got that equation. I'm guessing to get to that point you squared another equation, which introduced a spurious solution. If that's the case, you just have to try both solutions in the original equation and see which one works.

6. Aug 29, 2010 #5
    I found the zeros to the equation you gave me above...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook