Solving for Simultaneity problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the necessary velocity in the +x-axis direction for events A and B to occur simultaneously. The solution involves solving for β=v/c rather than v alone, and using the quadratic equation to find β^2. However, there may be a spurious solution that needs to be eliminated by plugging both possible solutions back into the original equation.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

How fast must the observer be moving in the +x-axis direction so that events A and B occur simultaneously?

Homework Equations

I am currently in the solving stage of this problem and I need some help factoring this out/entering it into Octave. Can anyone help?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am currently nearing the end of the (*hopefully) working solution. I am currently here:

1.296e33=v^2(9e16-v^2)

How do I solve from here either by hand, or by entering it into MATLAB/Octave? I appreciate all help! Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
In relativity, it's generally better to solve for β=v/c rather than v alone. It just keeps things neater. In your case, if you divide by c4, you'll get

[tex]\beta^2(1-\beta^2) = 0.16[/tex]

This is a quadratic in β2. Solve for β2 by factoring, if possible, or by using the quadratic equation.

Thank you for your reply. However, by entering that function into my calculator, I find that the function has 4 zeros. Even if I assume that the velocity cannot be negative (because we're moving in the +x direction), I still have two values that are directly proportional by a factor of 2. How do I determine which one it is? The values end up being 0.447214c and 0.89443c FYI. Thanks.

I can't say as I don't know how you got that equation. I'm guessing to get to that point you squared another equation, which introduced a spurious solution. If that's the case, you just have to try both solutions in the original equation and see which one works.

I found the zeros to the equation you gave me above...

Related to Solving for Simultaneity problem

1. What is the "Solving for Simultaneity problem"?

The "Solving for Simultaneity problem" refers to the challenge of determining the order of events that occur simultaneously in a system. It can arise in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is solving for simultaneity important?

Solving for simultaneity is important because it helps us understand the cause and effect relationships between events. It allows us to accurately analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

3. How is the "Solving for Simultaneity problem" typically approached?

The "Solving for Simultaneity problem" is typically approached by using mathematical models and techniques such as time series analysis, differential equations, and computer simulations. These methods help to determine the order of events and their impact on the system.

4. What are some common challenges in solving for simultaneity?

Some common challenges in solving for simultaneity include incomplete or inaccurate data, complex and non-linear relationships between events, and the presence of external factors that can influence the system.

5. How can we improve the accuracy of solving for simultaneity?

To improve the accuracy of solving for simultaneity, it is important to use multiple methods and approaches, validate the results with real-world data, and consider all possible factors that may affect the system. Collaboration and feedback from experts in the field can also help to refine and improve the accuracy of the solutions.