Solving Gun Shot Question: Average Horizontal Force Applied to Gun

• Thread starter madahmad1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun
In summary, the problem involves a rifle held by a supporting test frame and a 50 g bullet fired horizontally with a muzzle exit velocity of 500 m/s. In order to find the average horizontal force applied to the gun by the test frame, we need to use Newton's second law and the formula F=ma. By dividing the velocity by the time, we get the average acceleration of the bullet, and then multiplying it by the mass (which needs to be converted to kg), we get the average force. This comes out to be 8.33 kN.
madahmad1

Homework Statement

A rifle is held rigidly by a supporting test frame. When fired horizontallly, a 50 g bullet attains a muzzle exit velocity of 500 m/s if it takes 0.003 s for the bullet to travel the length of the barrel, determine the average horizontal force applied to the gun by the test frame during firing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is 8.33 kN but I do not know how to solve it.
I think that we evaluate the forces on the x axis, there are no forces on the y-axis but
i am not sure, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
madahmad1 said:
I know that the answer is 8.33 kN

Hint: 8330 is half of 50/.003.

lol, so i multiply 50/0.3 by a half? Thanks for the help but can you tell me what steps i should take, i really do not get this problem.

F = ma

With what you're given, how can you find the acceleration?

You have the mass, but you have to change it's units so you can get the force in Newtons (N).

(i must admit i think it's a badly-worded question, and i don't really understand the mechanical set-up :frown: … but what they obviously want is …)

ok … Newton's second law …
force = mass times acceleration​
so …
average force = mass times average acceleration …​

and average acceleration is … ? :smile:

In order to find the average force we need to know the average acceleration,to find the average acceleration we divide 500/0.003, which is velocity divided by time. This comes out to be 166666.667., then we multuply by 50, correct? I`m sorry if i am wrong but I am really trying to answer this based on the help you are giving me, do we find average acceleration by a different method?

madahmad1 said:
In order to find the average force we need to know the average acceleration,to find the average acceleration we divide 500/0.003, which is velocity divided by time. This comes out to be 166666.667., then we multuply by 50, correct?

No … 1 N = 1 kg m /s² … so we multiply by 0.05. :smile:

Related to Solving Gun Shot Question: Average Horizontal Force Applied to Gun

1. What is the purpose of solving a gun shot question?

The purpose of solving a gun shot question is to understand the mechanics behind the horizontal force applied to a gun when it is fired. This information can be used to improve firearm design, accuracy, and safety.

2. What factors affect the average horizontal force applied to a gun?

The average horizontal force applied to a gun is affected by several factors, including the type of firearm, the caliber of the bullet, the amount of gunpowder used, and the weight and design of the gun.

3. How is the average horizontal force applied to a gun calculated?

The average horizontal force applied to a gun is calculated by measuring the recoil velocity of the gun and the mass of the bullet, and then using the equation F=ma (force = mass x acceleration) to determine the average force.

4. Can the average horizontal force applied to a gun be reduced?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the average horizontal force applied to a gun. This can be achieved through using lighter bullets, adjusting the amount of gunpowder used, and improving the design of the gun to better distribute the force.

5. How does the average horizontal force applied to a gun affect accuracy?

The average horizontal force applied to a gun can have a significant impact on accuracy. Too much force can cause the gun to recoil too strongly, affecting the shooter's aim. Therefore, understanding and controlling the average horizontal force can lead to improved accuracy.