Solving Hess's Law Problem: ΔH for Mg2+ + H2O --> MgO + 2H+

• Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ΔH for a reaction involving MgO and H+. The conversation also includes confusion about whether to use the sum of reactants and products or manipulate the equations. Eventually, it is determined that the correct approach is to use Hess's law and manipulate the first equation to get the desired second equation.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

ΔH for the rxn 3MgO(s) + 6H+(aq) --> 3Mg2+(aq) + 3H20(l) = 409.5 kj/mol
What is ΔH for Mg2+(aq) + H20(l) --> Mg0(s) + 2H+(aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

We just went over this in class I'm confused as ever. I don't know if it is a
ΔH = Ʃreactants - Ʃproducts
Or if I had to somehow manipulate the equations which is what we just went over . I don't really understand so if you point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I'm confused because all the worksheets where we did the latter choice I mentioned we were given a target equation. Here I don't see one. Explain your thinking please.
Thanks ,
J

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare both equations reagent by reagent.

Can you elaborate? I don't understand. Thank you.

Hi
I looked at it again. I thought how can I get from the first equation to the second
ΔH for the rxn 3MgO(s) + 6H+(aq) --> 3Mg2+(aq) + 3H20(l) = 409.5 kj/mol
What is ΔH for Mg2+(aq) + H20(l) --> Mg0(s) + 2H+(aq)
If I divide the first equation by 3
I get MgO(s) + 2H+(aq) --> Mg2+(aq) + H20(l) = 136.5 kj/mol
Then I can flip this and I will get
Mg2+(aq) + H20(l) --> Mg0(s) + 2H+(aq) = -136.5 kj/ mol
Which is the first second equation. So I just transformed the first into the second. I'm not sure if this is even proper I just kind of went with it lol. What does someone think?

That's exactly what you were expected to do. Note that it is a direct application of the Hess law.

Thanks dude we just went over it and it didn't sink in yet. Appreciate your help.

1. What is Hess's Law and why is it important in solving this problem?

Hess's Law states that the enthalpy change for a chemical reaction is independent of the pathway taken. This means that the overall change in enthalpy for a reaction can be calculated by combining the enthalpy changes of individual steps. In this problem, Hess's Law allows us to determine the enthalpy change for the reaction without directly measuring it.

2. How do I approach solving this problem using Hess's Law?

The first step is to identify the individual steps or reactions that make up the overall reaction. Then, determine the enthalpy changes for each of these individual steps. Finally, use Hess's Law to combine these enthalpy changes and calculate the overall enthalpy change for the reaction.

3. How do I calculate the enthalpy change for the individual steps?

The enthalpy change for each step can be calculated using the standard enthalpy of formation values for the reactants and products involved. These values can be found in a reference table or calculated using bond energies.

4. Can I use any combination of reactions to solve this problem?

No, in order to use Hess's Law, the individual steps must have the same starting and ending compounds as the overall reaction. This ensures that the enthalpy changes can be combined to accurately calculate the overall enthalpy change.

5. Are there any limitations to using Hess's Law in solving this problem?

One limitation is that Hess's Law assumes ideal conditions, so it may not be completely accurate in real-world situations. Additionally, Hess's Law only applies to reactions that are at constant pressure and temperature.