Solving Homework with Eq: Exploring Why Root-2 is in Denominator

• Thread starter sugz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation E = [kq/r^2]r to express the unit vector going from each Q to point P. The solution provided includes a root-2 in the denominator and the importance of setting up a clear coordinate system for the problem is mentioned.
sugz

Homework Statement

Attached below

Homework Equations

E = [kq/r^2]r -------> r is the unit vector

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the same thing as the solution below, however, I do not understand why there is root-2 in the denominator. I would appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.

Attachments

• PhysQ.PNG
    PhysQ.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 422
  • PhysA.PNG
    PhysA.PNG
    69.7 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you express the unit vector going from each Q to point P?

DelcrossA said:
How would you express the unit vector going from each Q to point P?
it would be E=[kQ/d^2]i

sugz said:
it would be E=[kQ/d^2]i

That's for one of the Q's. What about for the other one?

Note that it's essential to make sure you have set up a clear coordinate system for the problem.

It would be E=[kQ/2d^2](-cos45i+sin45j)

Related to Solving Homework with Eq: Exploring Why Root-2 is in Denominator

1. What is the significance of Root-2 being in the denominator when solving homework with Eq?

The presence of Root-2 in the denominator of an equation often indicates that the equation is a rational function, meaning it contains a fraction with a variable in the denominator. This can make solving the equation more complex and may require the use of algebraic techniques such as factoring or finding common denominators.

2. Why is it important to explore why Root-2 is in the denominator?

By understanding why Root-2 is in the denominator, we can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical principles at play. This can help us to better solve equations with similar structures in the future and make connections between different mathematical concepts.

3. How can we simplify or eliminate Root-2 in the denominator when solving an equation?

Depending on the specific equation, there may be various techniques that can be used to simplify or eliminate Root-2 in the denominator. These may include factoring, multiplying both sides of the equation by the conjugate of Root-2, or using the quadratic formula. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the most appropriate method.

4. Are there any real-world applications for understanding why Root-2 is in the denominator?

Yes, understanding why Root-2 is in the denominator can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, rational functions are commonly used to model systems with variable inputs, and understanding how to solve equations with Root-2 in the denominator can help in designing and analyzing these systems.

5. Can you provide an example of a problem involving Root-2 in the denominator?

Sure, here is a simple example: Solve the equation 2/x + 3 = 5/(x-Root-2). To solve this, we can start by finding a common denominator of x(x-Root-2). Multiplying both sides by this common denominator, we get 2(x-Root-2) + 3x(x-Root-2) = 5x. Simplifying and rearranging, we get the quadratic equation 3x^2 - 10x + 4 = 0. Solving for x using the quadratic formula, we get x = 1 or x = 2, so the solutions to the original equation are x = 1 and x = 2.