Solving Integration Help Homework: Lim inf x->inf Ʃ e^(sqrt ti)/N(sqrt ti)

• Thread starter smiggles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: So, to go from the sum to the integral, you need to add the 4 to make it look like the right Riemann sum. But, you also need to divide by n to make the width of the intervals smaller, as n approaches infinity. This is where the 1/4 comes from.
smiggles

Homework Statement

The interval [0,4] is partitioned into n equal subintervals and ti, is chosen in [Xi-1, Xi] for each i.
What is:

Lim... inf
x->inf...Ʃ e^(sqrt ti)/N(sqrt ti)
...i=1

The Attempt at a Solution

It was problem we had to do in class as a group, teacher wasnt there to provide us an answer, and some people in my group have conflicting answersWhat i did:

I wrote it as integral

∫ (e^(sqrt X))/(N(sqrt X))

I then use the substitution method:
U= sqrt X
du= 1/(2 sqrtX) dx
2du= 1/(sqrt X)

2/n ∫ e^u = (2e^(sqrt 4))-(2e/n^(sqrt 0))

= 2e^2-2
My answer = 2/n(e^2 - 1)
Can someone help me out, i don't really understand what we are suppose to do, and i apologize for the bad input. Appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
smiggles said:

Homework Statement

The interval [0,4] is partitioned into n equal sub-intervals and ti, is chosen in [Xi-1, Xi] for each i.
What is:

Lim... inf
...i=1

It was problem we had to do in class as a group, teacher wasnt there to provide us an answer, and some people in my group have conflicting answers

What i did:

I wrote it as integral

U= sqrt X
du= 1/(2 sqrtX) dx
2du= 1/(sqrt X)

= 2e^2-2
My answer = 2/n(e^2 - 1)

Can someone help me out, i don't really understand what we are suppose to do, and i apologize for the bad input. Appreciate it.
Hello smiggles. Welcome to PF !

I assume that N and n are the same thing.

What quantity represents Δx in the sum ?

SammyS said:
Hello smiggles. Welcome to PF !

I assume that N and n are the same thing.

What quantity represents Δx in the sum ?

Hey sammy, thanks for the reply!

Yes N and n are the same thing.

im not sure if i under stand what youre asking me, but would Δx = (b-a)/n = (4-0)/n = 4/n

smiggles said:
Hey sammy, thanks for the reply!

Yes N and n are the same thing.

I'm not sure if i under stand what you're asking me, but would Δx = (b-a)/n = (4-0)/n = 4/n
Yes, Δx = 4/n .

Your integral does not have a dx in it. The quantity in the sum that would correspond to dx is Δx . Can you figure out how to have Δx, i.e. 4/n, in your sum?

∫ (e^(sqrt x))/(n(sqrt x)) * (4/n)

or could i just multiply the (4/n) to my answer:

= (8/n^2)(e^2 - 1)

Last edited:
smiggles said:
∫ (e^(sqrt x))/(n(sqrt x)) * (4/n)

or could i just multiply the (4/n) to my answer:

= (8/n^2)(e^2 - 1)
There's still no dx there ... but that's not what I asked you to do anyway.

How can you get 4/n to be in the sum ?

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}[/itex]

dx= 4/n

can i solve for n, so it would be n=(dx/4), and i would plug it in?
:(

edit:

or can i just tack on a dx
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}[/itex] DX

2nd edit:
to get 4/n to be in the sum, can i put it in front of the sigma?

4/n[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}[/itex]

Last edited:
smiggles said:
dx= 4/n

can i solve for n, so it would be n=(dx/4), and i would plug it in?
:(

edit:

or can i just tack on a dx
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}[/itex] DX

2nd edit:
to get 4/n to be in the sum, can i put it in front of the sigma?

4/n[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}[/itex]
No. It's like this:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}=\frac{1}{4}\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{4e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}[/itex]

By the way, maybe we should be looking at [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}\ .[/itex]

Nice, one question, where did the 1/4 come from?

Looking back at [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}\ .[/itex]

My first instict would be to change
[itex]\frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}\ .[/itex]
to

∫ fx dx = [itex]\frac{e^\sqrt{x}}{n\sqrt{x}}\ dx .[/itex]

Is there something I am overlooking, or a step I am skipping?

I really appreciate your help, and your great patience!

The use of ti instead of some xi (I know, it's because xi has a different use.) may be making this a little less straight forward.

You need something like:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} (f(t_i)\Delta x)[/itex]

to become

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\,dx\ .[/itex]

The sum [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{1}{4}\sum_{ i=1}^{\infty} \frac{4e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}\ \ [/itex] does that.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{\sqrt{t_i}}[/itex] is f(ti).

[itex] \displaystyle \frac{4}{n}\ \ [/itex] is Δx .

so i should have
1/4[itex]\displaystyle \\\int_{0}^{4} \ \frac{4e^\sqrt{x}}{n\sqrt{x}}\ \ [/itex]

sorry to ask again, but where is the 1/4 coming from?

smiggles said:
so i should have
1/4[itex]\displaystyle \\\int_{0}^{4} \ \frac{4e^\sqrt{x}}{n\sqrt{x}}\ \ [/itex]

sorry to ask again, but where is the 1/4 coming from?
No.

The 4/n, which is Δx, becomes dx in for the integral version.

Added in Edit:

The 1/4 comes about because you need 4/n for Δx, so that you have dx to properly write tour integral.

Have you ever seen in your textbook, a case where an integral is written without a differential such as dx ?

Last edited:
What you have is close to the right answer, but never quite there.

OK

Let's say we want to write a right Riemann sum to approximate the integral, [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{4}f(x)\,dx \ .[/itex]

Let's partition the interval [0, 4] into 100 equal-width intervals.

The width of each interval is Δx = 4/100 = 0.04 .

The height of each interval is f(xk), where xk is the right hand x value of the k-th interval.

We would then approximate the integral as:

[itex]\displaystyle f(0.04)\left(0.04\right)+f(0.08)\left(0.04\right)+f(0.12)\left(0.04\right)
+\dots[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\sum_{k=1}^{100}f(x_k)\frac{4}{100}\ .
[/itex]​
If you use n intervals instead, you have

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}f(x_k)\frac{4}{n}\ .[/itex]The function you're using already has the n in it, but not the 4 .

smiggles said:

Homework Statement

The interval [0,4] is partitioned into n equal subintervals and ti, is chosen in [Xi-1, Xi] for each i.
What is:

Lim... inf
...i=1
You cannot take the limit as "x goes to infinity"- there is NO "x" in your formula. I think you meant "n goes to infinity".

It was problem we had to do in class as a group, teacher wasnt there to provide us an answer, and some people in my group have conflicting answers

What i did:

I wrote it as integral

The integral is the limit of the sums as n goes to infinity. There should be no "n" (or "N") in this.

U= sqrt X
du= 1/(2 sqrtX) dx
2du= 1/(sqrt X)

= 2e^2-2
My answer = 2/n(e^2 - 1)

SammyS said:
What you have is close to the right answer, but never quite there.

OK

Let's say we want to write a right Riemann sum to approximate the integral, [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{4}f(x)\,dx \ .[/itex]

Let's partition the interval [0, 4] into 100 equal-width intervals.

The width of each interval is Δx = 4/100 = 0.04 .

The height of each interval is f(xk), where xk is the right hand x value of the k-th interval.

We would then approximate the integral as:

[itex]\displaystyle f(0.04)\left(0.04\right)+f(0.08)\left(0.04\right)+f(0.12)\left(0.04\right)
+\dots[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\sum_{k=1}^{100}f(x_k)\frac{4}{100}\ .
[/itex]​
If you use n intervals instead, you have

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}f(x_k)\frac{4}{n}\ .[/itex]

The function you're using already has the n in it, but not the 4 .

Thank you very much for your help, greatly appreciate it!

HallsofIvy said:
You cannot take the limit as "x goes to infinity"- there is NO "x" in your formula. I think you meant "n goes to infinity".

The integral is the limit of the sums as n goes to infinity. There should be no "n" (or "N") in this.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, apologize about the mistakes.

Glad there is still great people around to help others appreciate it!

smiggles said:
Thank you very much for your help, greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for clearing that up for me, apologize about the mistakes.

Glad there is still great people around to help others appreciate it!
So, what integral did you finally come up with ?

The professor put up the answer, does it seem correct, how did the integral go from 0 to 4 TO 0 to 2. My original answer is very close to that, but i multiplied by 2 instead of multiplying by 1/2.

and how are you able to multiply 4/n by n/4, and what is the purpose to doing this?

Last edited:
smiggles said:
pcsufresnoedubbcswebdavpid1332206dtcontentrid8223445_1coursesMATH75B03758282127InClassWorkanspdf.png

The professor put up the answer, does it seem correct, how did the integral go from 0 to 4 TO 0 to 2. My original answer is very close to that, but i multiplied by 2 instead of multiplying by 1/2.

and how are you able to multiply 4/n by n/4, and what is the purpose to doing this?
I agree with your professor's answer.

The limits of integration change due to doing integration by substitution.

Added in Edit:

So, why did you edit your post, erasing the image?

As for your question about 4/n and n/4:

Your professor took the expression [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}\ \ [/itex] and multiplied that by [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{n}{4}\frac{4}{n}\ .\ [/itex] Why can he do that ?

His motivation for doing that was that he needed [itex]\ \Delta x\ [/itex] in his sum and [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \Delta x=\frac{4}{n}\ .[/itex] He then kept the [itex]\ \Delta x\ [/itex] isolated and combined the [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{n}{4}\ \ [/itex] with the given expression, giving:
[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{n\sqrt{t_i}}\frac{n}{4} \right)\frac{4}{n}=\frac{e^\sqrt{t_i}}{4\sqrt{t_i}}\Delta x[/itex]​

You didn't have the 4 in the denominator.

(1/4)2 = 1/2 . So, there's a 1/2 rather than the 2 you had.

Last edited:

Related to Solving Integration Help Homework: Lim inf x->inf Ʃ e^(sqrt ti)/N(sqrt ti)

1. What is the purpose of solving integration problems?

Solving integration problems helps us to find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a lim inf in integration?

Lim inf, or limit inferior, in integration refers to the lower bound of the limit of a sequence or function as it approaches a certain value. It can also be thought of as the smallest accumulation point of a sequence or function.

3. How do you solve integration problems with e^(sqrt ti)?

To solve integration problems with e^(sqrt ti), we can use the substitution method and let u = sqrt ti. This will allow us to transform the integral into a simpler form that can be solved using integration techniques.

4. What is the significance of N in the equation for solving integration problems?

N in the equation represents the number of terms in the series. As N approaches infinity, the series becomes more accurate and the result of the integration becomes more precise.

5. Can you provide an example of solving an integration problem with e^(sqrt ti)?

Yes, for example, if we have the integral ∫(0 to 1) e^(sqrt t) dt, we can use the substitution u = sqrt t to transform it into ∫(0 to 1) 2ue^u^2 du. Then, we can use integration by parts to solve the integral and get the final result of 2(e-1).