Solving My Confusion: States in Energy Band

In summary, the number of states in a band is equal to the number of unit cells in a crystal. Each state can accommodate at most two electrons, due to the Pauli exclusion principle. This is because two electrons with opposite spins can occupy the same state without destructively interfering with each other. However, if the Pauli exclusion principle did not apply, there would be no limit to the number of electrons that can occupy a single band. Additionally, for non-relativistic quantum mechanics, the wave function of a system with two electrons in the same state would have two components, one for each spin. This is different from a photon, which is not subject to the Pauli exclusion principle and therefore has no limit to the number of particles
arierreF
It's known that the number of states in a band is equal to the number of unit cells in crystal.

Here is my problem (confusion with trivial concepts)

Bloch function is a electronic state, or orbital.
The number of orbitals in a band inside the first zone is equal to the number os units cells in crystal.

each state can accommodate at most two electrons. So the max number of electrons that can occupy a single band is 2N

But here is my stupid question:

I know that a state can be occupied with two electrons with opposite spins, but why two?

In my mind (i know that I am thinking wrong) one state should be only occupied by one electron.

Is like having N chairs for 2N people (N male and N female). We are saying that one chair can be occupied by one male and one female simultaneously . But one chair is made for one individual and not two individuals.

Other question:

If the Pauli exclusion principle would not be valid for electrons, then what is the max number of electrons that can occupy a single band? infinite?

Physics news on Phys.org
arierreF said:
I know that a state can be occupied with two electrons with opposite spins, but why two?

It has to do with how the wavefunctions of fermions interact. I believe that with two possible spin states, two wavefunctions can overlap completely without destructively interfering with each other.

Actually, two electrons do not occupy the exact same state, the difference being the spin. What happens is that the "states" are spin-degenerated, that is, there are states with same quantum numbers, and differ only in spin. Think about the atomic levels for example: neglecting spin interaction, the 1s electrons occupy have same energy, angular momentum, and the only difference is spin.

Yes, particles that are bosons do not obbey the Pauli exclusion principle and therefore an inifinite number of particles can occupy the EXACT (including spin) state. This difference is the basis of the difference between Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics.
About many particles in the same state, take a look about the Bose-Einstein Condensates.

(Neglecting spin interaction) if we have a sate with two electrons, same band, same wave vector, but opposite spins and i want to "plot" the wave function of that state, what is the result?

A single wave function that resulted on the overlapping of the two electrons?

Or two wave functions, with different spins.

Well...about details related to spin I might commit errors becaue I have no deep knowledge of relativistic quantum mechanics, which is where spin is accounted more precisely as far as I know.
But in non-relativistic quantum mechanics (at least for spin 1/2, which is the case of the electron), when you treat different spin components it appears as a different componnent, that is, the wave function of the system has one spin +1/2 component and one spin -1/2 component. Think of it like a 2D vector: you can decompose it in x and y components.
That means in the case you ask about, the two wave functions would be the same if plotted.

arierreF said:
Other question:

If the Pauli exclusion principle would not be valid for electrons, then what is the max number of electrons that can occupy a single band? infinite?

There are only two bands : the valence band and the conduction band, each containing many states. Be careful not to confuse band and state.
A photon is a particle to which the Pauli exclusion principle does not apply. There is not limit to the number of photons in a system that can be in the same state.

What is an energy band?

An energy band is a range of allowed energy levels that electrons can occupy within a material. In solid materials, there are two types of energy bands - the valence band and the conduction band. The valence band contains the electrons that are bound to the atoms and cannot move freely, while the conduction band contains the electrons that are free to move and conduct electricity.

What causes confusion about states in energy bands?

The concept of energy bands can be confusing because it is not always intuitive to understand how electrons can have different energy levels and how they are affected by their surroundings. Additionally, the terminology used, such as "states" and "bands", can be confusing for those who are not familiar with the topic.

How can I understand the states in energy bands better?

To better understand the states in energy bands, it is helpful to visualize the energy bands as a graph with energy on the vertical axis and the position in the material on the horizontal axis. This can help to understand how electrons can have different energy levels and how they are affected by the material's structure and composition.

Why are energy bands important in materials science?

Energy bands play a crucial role in determining the properties of materials, such as their electrical conductivity, optical properties, and thermal properties. By understanding and controlling the energy bands in a material, scientists can design materials with specific properties for various applications.

Can energy bands be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, energy bands can be manipulated and controlled through various methods such as doping, which involves introducing impurities into a material to change its electrical properties, or applying an external electric field to shift the energy bands. This manipulation of energy bands is essential in the development of new materials and technologies.