Solving Tension & Pulley Problems: Acceleration & Tension Explained

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration and tension in a system consisting of two masses connected by a string over a frictionless pulley. The masses and the string are attached to a tabletop. The conversation discusses two different approaches to solving the problem and clarifies the correct formula for tension in the string.
amcavoy
I have attached a picture of what I am describing below (Edit: also a link if the attachment didn't go through):

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/949/mech036fig012zi.jpg

If a mass m1 sits on top of a frictionless table (assume the pulley is as well), attached to a massless string with a mass m2 on the other end hanging off the table, what is the accel. and tension in the string assuming that m1=2m2?

I figured that if it were attached to a wall (rather than m1), the tension would be |T|=m2g. However, since the mass m1 will move, this is what I did:

[tex]\vec{a}=\frac{F}{m}=\frac{m_2g}{m_2+2m_2}=\frac{g}{3}[/tex]

[tex]T=m\vec{a}=\frac{m_2g}{3}[/tex]

Am I correct?

Thanks for the help :smile:

Alex

Attachments

• mech036fig01.jpg
    mech036fig01.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 406
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
apmcavoy said:
However, since the mass m1 will move, this is what I did:
[tex]\vec{a}=\frac{F}{m}=\frac{m_2g}{m_2+2m_2}=\frac{g}{3}[/tex]
Good!
[tex]T=m\vec{a}=\frac{m_2g}{3}[/tex]
Careful: [tex]T = m_1 a[/tex]

Just for the exercise, I recommend doing the problem a second way: Apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass seperately and combine the two equations. (You'll get the same answer, of course.)

The acceleration is correct, but T is the tension, providing acceleration, on m1, not m2.

Fermat said:
The acceleration is correct, but T is the tension, providing acceleration, on m1, not m2.
Hmm... Could you explain a bit more why it isn't m2? It seems like the hanging mass (m2) would determine the tension.

Thanks again,

Alex

Alright I tried your suggestion Doc Al:

[tex]F_1=\frac{2m_2g}{3}[/tex]

[tex]F_2=\frac{m_2g}{3}[/tex]

[tex]F_1+F_2=m_2g[/tex]

I'm not coming up with m1g like you suggested. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you.

Alex

apmcavoy said:
Alright I tried your suggestion Doc Al:
[tex]F_1=\frac{2m_2g}{3}[/tex]
[tex]F_2=\frac{m_2g}{3}[/tex]
[tex]F_1+F_2=m_2g[/tex]
I'm not coming up with m1g like you suggested. Where did I go wrong?
I suggested starting over and looking at each mass separately:
(1) What forces act on mass 1? Write Newton's 2nd law for mass 1.
(1) What forces act on mass 2? Write Newton's 2nd law for mass 2.​
When you do that, you'll get two equations. They will allow you to solve for the acceleration of the masses and the tension in the cord. (And you'll also see why [itex]T = m_1 g[/itex].)

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you're saying. The force on the mass m1 is equal to the tension, thus T=m1a. Thanks a lot for the help, it's appreciated.

Alex

Last edited:
You only need to consider the forces parallel to the direction of the acceleration:
on [itex]m_1[/itex]: The only horizontal force is the tension in the string
on [itex]m_2[/itex]: There two vertical forces, the tension in the string and the weight

Related to Solving Tension & Pulley Problems: Acceleration & Tension Explained

1. What is the difference between tension and acceleration in a pulley system?

Tension is the force exerted by a string or rope on an object, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In a pulley system, tension is responsible for the motion of the objects, while acceleration is the result of the net force acting on the objects.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system can be calculated by using the equations of motion and Newton's second law. The sum of all forces acting on the objects in the system will equal the mass of the objects multiplied by their acceleration. This will give the net force, which can then be used to calculate the tension.

3. Can the tension in a pulley system ever be greater than the weight of the objects?

Yes, the tension in a pulley system can be greater than the weight of the objects if there are multiple pulleys and the force is being distributed across multiple strings. In this case, the tension in each string will be greater than the weight of the objects it is supporting.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the tension in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a system can affect the tension by changing the direction of the force being applied. As the number of pulleys increases, the tension in the system decreases because the force is distributed across more strings. This allows for a smaller force to lift a heavier weight.

5. How can I use tension and acceleration to solve pulley problems?

To solve pulley problems, you can use the equations of motion and Newton's second law to set up a system of equations. By identifying the unknown variables, such as the tension and acceleration, and using the given information, you can solve for the unknowns and determine the motion of the objects in the pulley system.