Some funny theoretical tasks, classical physics

In summary: However, the buoyancy of the ball would increase as the small bubbles rise and displace the water around it, causing it to float higher. In summary, injecting air into a water-filled cylindrical vessel with a floating ball will cause the ball to float higher due to the increased buoyancy from the rising air bubbles displacing the water.
(N)amber
Good morning!
I want to show you a few exercises given to me by my Physics teacher as an additional task. I'm aware that for some of you they may seem trivial, but I found it hard to face them because of them being full theoretical, with no actual data given. Mind that I'm only 15 :(. I'd love to hear some tips

1) A ball was floating in a water-filled cylindrical vessel. Through evenly spaced small holes at the bottom, air started to be injected. How will the dipping change?(average, not taking the flowing out bubbles into consideration)

My thoughts:
- air dissolves in the water, due that fact the average density of the solution should decrease, in theory. We weren't given the data about the pressure, temperature of the water, we don't know if its saturated
-Do the bubbles have an influence on the ball?This is the first, and probably the easiest exercise. Should you show some interest, I'll give more :P

Sorry if i might sound strange, I'm not native English

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

So I guess they want to know if the ball float level changes when air is injected into the water.

I think the ball would float higher because it gets buffeted by rising air bubbles that push it upward.

Assuming the ball is not pushed up the cylinder by the flow of air...

Initially what happens to the water level as the air is introduced into the bottom of the cylinder?
What happens to the buoyancy of the ball as the small bubbles rise and displace the water around the ball?

montoyas7940 said:
Assuming the ball is not pushed up the cylinder by the flow of air...

Initially what happens to the water level as the air is introduced into the bottom of the cylinder?
What happens to the buoyancy of the ball as the small bubbles rise and displace the water around the ball?

The water level itself should not affect the float level in my opinion

speaker

Good morning! Thank you for sharing these interesting theoretical tasks with me. It's great to see that you are taking on these challenges at such a young age. Let's take a look at the first exercise you mentioned.

From what you described, it seems like this is a buoyancy problem. As air is injected into the water, it will dissolve and decrease the overall density of the solution. This would cause the ball to rise slightly, but the presence of bubbles could also have an effect on the movement of the ball. It would depend on the size and number of bubbles, as well as their distribution in the water.

It's also worth considering the pressure and temperature of the water, as these can affect the solubility of gases. Without more information, it's difficult to say for sure how the ball will dip or rise in this scenario. But I encourage you to continue exploring this problem and see if you can come up with a more precise solution. And I would be happy to see more of these exercises if you'd like to share them with me. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the definition of a "funny theoretical task" in classical physics?

A "funny theoretical task" in classical physics refers to a hypothetical or thought experiment that may seem unusual or comical, but is used to illustrate a concept or principle in physics. These tasks often involve unlikely scenarios that challenge our understanding of the laws of classical physics.

2. Can you provide an example of a funny theoretical task in classical physics?

One example of a funny theoretical task is the "cat in a box" thought experiment, also known as Schrödinger's cat. This task involves placing a cat in a sealed box with a device that has a 50% chance of releasing poison, and according to the principles of quantum mechanics, the cat would be both alive and dead until the box is opened and the cat is observed.

3. Are funny theoretical tasks in classical physics useful for understanding real-world phenomena?

Yes, funny theoretical tasks can be useful for understanding real-world phenomena. They allow us to explore extreme or impossible scenarios that may not occur in the natural world, but can help us to better understand the fundamental principles of classical physics.

4. What is the purpose of using funny theoretical tasks in classical physics?

The purpose of using funny theoretical tasks in classical physics is to challenge our understanding of the laws of physics and to stimulate critical thinking and creativity. These tasks can also help scientists to identify gaps in our knowledge and to develop new theories or explanations for observed phenomena.

5. Is there any practical application for funny theoretical tasks in classical physics?

While funny theoretical tasks may seem purely theoretical, they can have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and advanced technology development. By pushing the boundaries of our understanding of classical physics, these tasks can inspire new technologies and innovations.