Some more questions

• Thread starter pious&peevish
  • Start date
In summary: What does the equation show for Case 1 if m1 has a greater mass?In Case 1, the equation shows that the potential would be lower because m1 has a greater mass.
pious&peevish
Some more urgent questions

Hi! So I know I made a thread earlier today in which I asked for help on a couple of past final problems. For the other ones I'm about to ask here, I think I generally "get" the underlying concepts, but I'm not so sure that my answers are satisfactory. This is just a way of confirming the accuracy of what I have so far.

http://imageshack.us/a/img51/7451/screenshot20121212at938.png [Broken]

My answer:

Part A: Call the 4.0 kg mass m1, and the 3.0 kg mass m2.

m1 has 2 forces acting on it: m1g and (m1 v^2)/r.

By substituting the values into the variables, I found that the tension came out to be about 53.4 N.

Part B: m2 also has 2 forces acting on it: m2g and (m2 v^2)/r.

The tension in this string was the tension caused by the mass m2 (approx. 42 N), PLUS the tension found in Part A (53.4 N).

Part C: Because of the greater tension in the 4.0 m string, I wrote that the 4.0 m string would break first as both strings had the same strength.

Somehow I think I messed up something here, so I need someone to check my solution.

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/5200/screenshot20121212at937.png [Broken]

I used the apparent weight formula w = mg - m(v^2/r), but currently don't have much beyond that point. I also have no idea in which direction the plumb bob will end up pointing - I tentatively answered "south" but I really don't have a solid justification for that answer.

http://imageshack.us/a/img141/1887/screenshot20121212at921.png [Broken]

The graph drawing was relatively straightforward - the potential would come up from a really negative value and then asymptotically approach 0 as it went to the surface of the other body, and there were two such lines going in both directions since gravitation represents an action-reaction pair. So I wrote that this would give a local maximum. What I don't understand is how to calculate the *exact* position of the extremum, as well as the "calculate the work" portion.

Last but not least...

http://imageshack.us/a/img526/4638/screenshot20121212at951.png [Broken]

Relevant equation: T = 2*pi*sqrt(m/k).

Case 1: The 2 masses had the same period but different amplitudes.
Case 2: The second mass had a period that was *three times* that of the first mass.

I tentatively answered that in Case 1, the particles would be out of phase and would be going in different directions when they did pass. In Case 2, they would be going in the same direction, since mass 2's period was a multiple of that of mass 1. But I don't know if this is right, and I also don't know how I can determine precisely how much time passes (first part of the question). Do I just plug in the values into the equation I mentioned above?

Thanks to you all for your help in advance! :) I know this is a lot, so you don't need to answer all of them if you're pressed for time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It's better to put each problem on a separate thread. Different responders can choose which threads to engage with.
pious&peevish said:
m1 has 2 forces acting on it: m1g and (m1 v^2)/r.

By substituting the values into the variables, I found that the tension came out to be about 53.4 N.
Doesn't seem quite enough. What are you using for v here?
I tentatively answered "south" but I really don't have a solid justification for that answer.
Sounds right to me. If you wish to justify such an answer, for which plane should you draw the free body diagram?
What I don't understand is how to calculate the *exact* position of the extremum, as well as the "calculate the work" portion.
What expression can you write down, and then differentiate, for the potential as a function of distance along that line?
What is the work required to move the particle fro the Earth's surface to the local max of potential?
I tentatively answered that in Case 1, the particles would be out of phase
Why? They start in phase and have the same period, so how would they get out of phase?
In Case 2, they would be going in the same direction, since mass 2's period was a multiple of that of mass 1.
Write out the equations for their motions. What solution sets do you get for each for x=0?

Thank you. I think I understand the spring problem and plumb bob problem now.

For #1, I used the same speed for m1 as the one for m2, but this is mostly where I think I messed up because I can't say that for certain...

pious&peevish said:
For #1, I used the same speed for m1 as the one for m2, but this is mostly where I think I messed up because I can't say that for certain...
You can say for certain they are not the same. The ratio of the speeds is evident from the diagram.

Hello there! Thank you for reaching out for help with these problems. I am happy to assist you in understanding the concepts and checking your solutions.

For the first problem, your approach and calculations seem correct. The tension in the 4.0 m string is indeed greater, and it will break first. However, it would be helpful to also mention the reasoning behind your answer, i.e. the tension in the 4.0 m string is greater because it has a heavier mass attached to it.

For the second problem, your use of the apparent weight formula is correct. However, the direction in which the plumb bob will point is determined by the direction of the centripetal acceleration, which is always towards the center of the circular motion. In this case, the centripetal acceleration is towards the south, so the plumb bob will point south.

For the third problem, your understanding of the graph is correct. To find the exact position of the extremum, you can use the equation for gravitational potential energy: U = -GmM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the smaller body, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance between them. To calculate the work, you can use the formula W = Fd, where F is the force of gravity and d is the distance between the two bodies.

For the fourth problem, your approach is correct. In Case 1, the particles will be out of phase and moving in opposite directions. In Case 2, they will be in phase and moving in the same direction. To determine the exact time that passes, you can use the equation you mentioned, T = 2*pi*sqrt(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant. You can plug in the values for each case and compare the times.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

What is the purpose of "Some more questions"?

The purpose of "Some more questions" is to gather additional information or clarification on a topic or subject.

How do I come up with good "Some more questions"?

Good "Some more questions" can be generated by critically thinking about the topic at hand and considering what additional information or clarification would be helpful for further understanding.

What are some examples of "Some more questions"?

Examples of "Some more questions" include asking for specific details, asking for further explanation, or asking for the reasoning behind a statement or claim.

When should I ask "Some more questions"?

"Some more questions" should be asked when you feel the need for further information or clarification on a topic or subject. It is also helpful to ask them during discussions or conversations to deepen understanding.

How can "Some more questions" benefit scientific research?

"Some more questions" can benefit scientific research by promoting a deeper understanding of a topic or subject, revealing potential gaps in knowledge, and encouraging critical thinking and analysis.