Some one me with part B. (Simple Harmonic Motion)

In summary, the penny will leave the surface of the block when the system experiences a greater downward acceleration than the force of gravity.
bochai
Some one please help me with part B. (Simple Harmonic Motion) Online waiting!

Simple Harmonic Motion
A block of mass M = 10 kg is hanging, at rest, from a spring with a force constant of 250 N/m. There is also a very small penny sitting on top of the block. (Note: The penny is not stuck to the block and can leave the surface of the block.) The block is now pulled down a distance of 0.8 m held there and then released. Note: Assume that the mass of penny << mass of bock
Part A
Answer the following five questions by analytical means (i.e. math methods). Assume that Simple Harmonic Motion holds.
1) angular frequency of the system
2) amplitude of vibration
3) period of vibration
4) linear frequency of vibration
5) maximum acceleration the block experiences
Note: Do not consider the penny for the above calculations.
Part B
Now considering the penny as part of the system but assuming the mass of the penny is so small compared to the block that the Simple Harmonic Motion of the block is not affected by the penny.
Answer the following four questions by analytical means (i.e. math methods).
6) Why will the penny leave the surface of the block? Explain.
7) At what time will the penny leave the surface of the block after the block is released?
8) At what position, x, will the block be when the penny leaves the surface?
9) What will be the speed of the block when the penny leaves the surface?
(Part A is easy, but I'm not sure how to approach part B)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We can't help until you've shown some of your own work. What have you thought about so far?

I think the penny will leave after the system passes the equilibrant point, when the sping gaives the block a downward acceleration which is greater than the acceleration of the penny due to the gravity. I don't know if it is right, please help.

Last edited:
That's the right idea. Now you just have to figure out when and where will that happen.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point due to the force of a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A*cos(wt + phi), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, w is the angular frequency, and phi is the phase angle.

3. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different from other types of motion because it is a special case of periodic motion where the force acting on the object is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal motion that repeats itself over time.

4. How is simple harmonic motion used in real life?

Simple harmonic motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and even in the motion of planets around the sun. It is also used in engineering for the design of shock absorbers, car suspensions, and other mechanical systems.

5. What factors affect the period and frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The period and frequency of simple harmonic motion are affected by the mass of the object, the force acting on the object, and the stiffness of the restoring force. They also depend on the initial conditions, such as the amplitude and phase angle.