What Determines Changes in Velocity and Acceleration?

• Thread starter Amel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, when a non-zero net force acts on an object, its velocity and speed will change. If a bicycle is initially moving at a constant velocity, it will slow down without the application of a small net force. Objects under the influence of equal forces will have the same acceleration. During a collision, the force exerted by a larger object on a smaller object is equal and opposite. Finally, an object maintaining a constant velocity will have a net force of zero acting on it.
Amel

Homework Statement

A) If a non-zero net force acts on an object, the object's velocity will change.
B) If a non-zero net force acts on an object, the object's speed will change.
C) A bicycle initially moving at a constant velocity will slow down unless a small net force is applied.
D) If two objects are under the influence of equal forces, they have the same acceleration.
E) During the collision of a car with a large truck, the truck exerts an equal size force on the car as the car exerts on the truck.
F) The net force which acts on an object which maintains a constant velocity is zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I need to say if they are true or false.
Im getting the problem wrong but I am not sure on which part.

TTFFTT

A)T
B)T
C)F (im asuming there is no friction, but I am not sure if I can do that)
D)F (no because they could have different mass)
E)T (equal and opposite reaction)
F)T

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Velocity has both speed and direction. Either speed or direction or both can change as a result of an applied force. (See if you can think of an example of each possibility.)

Thanks for that hint I got it.

FAQ: What Determines Changes in Velocity and Acceleration?

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that causes an object to move, change direction, or change shape.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Gravitational forces are responsible for the attraction between objects with mass, electromagnetic forces are responsible for the interactions between charged particles, strong nuclear forces hold the nucleus of an atom together, and weak nuclear forces are responsible for radioactive decay.

How do forces affect motion?

Forces can either cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change direction. They can also cause an object to speed up or slow down.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How are forces measured?

Forces are measured in units of Newtons (N). One Newton is the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.