Some small questions grouped together

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertial frames of reference and whether a particle can describe a curved path without any force acting on it. It is mentioned that in some cases, a frame may appear to be inertial even if the particle is not. It is also debated whether inertial frames truly exist or are simply an ideal concept. The conversation ends with a question about whether the object placed far away from any external forces would necessarily be in an inertial frame. The speaker expresses uncertainty about this.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

1. Is it possible for a particle to describe a curved path if no force acts on it? Is the answer reference frame dependent?
YES, when the body stays still but the frame describes a curved path. Then with respect to that frame the body will describe curves but no force would act on particle. Will we count pseudo force as a force?

2. It is sometimes heard that inertial frame of reference does not actually exists and is only an ideal concept. Comment.
I totally agree with the view. almost every thing practical has absolute acceleration. Ar my views compatible?

3. An object is placed far away from all objects that can exert force on it. A reference frame is taken by taking the origin and axes fix in this. Will th frame be necessarily inertial?
I think yes. But I am not very confident.

Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement

1. Is it possible for a particle to describe a curved path if no force acts on it? Is the answer reference frame dependent?
YES, when the body stays still but the frame describes a curved path. Then with respect to that frame the body will describe curves but no force would act on particle. Will we count pseudo force as a force?

2. It is sometimes heard that inertial frame of reference does not actually exists and is only an ideal concept. Comment.
I totally agree with the view. almost every thing practical has absolute acceleration. Ar my views compatible?

3. An object is placed far away from all objects that can exert force on it. A reference frame is taken by taking the origin and axes fix in this. Will th frame be necessarily inertial?
I think yes. But I am not very confident.

Why aren't my questions answered?
As you can see, I have put on what I think is right. Do I need to do something more, in order that I get some help?

I would like to address these questions one by one.

In classical mechanics, a particle can only describe a curved path if a force acts on it. This is known as Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. However, in non-inertial reference frames (frames that are accelerating or rotating), objects may appear to follow curved paths due to the effects of fictitious forces such as the centrifugal force. Therefore, the answer to this question is reference frame dependent.

2. It is sometimes heard that inertial frame of reference does not actually exist and is only an ideal concept. Comment.

The concept of an inertial frame of reference is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and is defined as a frame in which Newton's First Law of Motion holds true. In practice, it is difficult to find a perfectly inertial frame as all frames are subject to external forces and accelerations. However, for most practical purposes, we can consider a frame to be inertial if the effects of these external forces are negligible. So while it may be true that a perfectly inertial frame does not exist, the concept is still a useful and valid one in understanding the motion of objects.

3. An object is placed far away from all objects that can exert force on it. A reference frame is taken by taking the origin and axes fixed in this. Will the frame be necessarily inertial?

In this scenario, the frame would be considered inertial as there are no external forces acting on the object. However, it is important to note that the frame itself may not be perfectly inertial due to factors such as the rotation of the Earth or the motion of our galaxy. Again, the concept of an inertial frame is a useful one but may not exist in its purest form in practical situations.

What is the purpose of grouping small questions together?

The purpose of grouping small questions together is to organize and categorize related questions, making them easier to find and understand.

How do you determine which questions should be grouped together?

The questions should be grouped together based on their similarity in topic or theme. This can be determined by analyzing the keywords and main ideas of each question.

What are the benefits of grouping small questions together?

Grouping small questions together can help save time by providing a more efficient way to find answers, improve understanding by providing context, and promote collaboration by encouraging discussion and sharing of ideas.

What are some examples of small questions that can be grouped together?

Examples of small questions that can be grouped together include questions about a specific topic, questions that require a similar skill or knowledge to answer, or questions that have a common goal or purpose.

How can grouping small questions together benefit scientific research?

Grouping small questions together can benefit scientific research by facilitating the identification of knowledge gaps, promoting interdisciplinary collaboration, and providing a more comprehensive understanding of a topic or issue.