Find the Height of a Cliff with Sound Homework Help - Expert Guidance"

In summary, the problem presented is to determine the height of a cliff based on the time it takes for a stone to fall from the top and the sound of it hitting the water. The solution involves using the equations d=\frac{1}{2}at^2 and v_{sound}=\frac{d}{t} to solve for time and then adding them together to get 3.5 seconds. The next problem is to find the power output of a loudspeaker at a rock concert, given a dB meter reading and the distance from the speaker.
Physic_Scholar
Ok I need guidance on how to approach this problem. The problem is as follows: A stone is dropped from the top of a cliff. The splash it makes when striking the water below is heard 3.5s later. How high is the cliff?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know the answer to this problem?

the time is of course the time for it to fall plus the time for the sound to come back up. So therefore use [tex]d=\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] and [tex]v_{sound}=\frac{d}{t}[/tex] then you solve both for time and add them together to produce 3.5 and hence solve for d.

ok I had those equations I just didn't think what to do. CAn you help me with this problem also: At a rock concert, a dB meter registered 130 dB when placed 2.8m in front of a loudspeaker on the stage. What is the power output of the speaker, assuming uniform spherical spreading of the sound and neglecting absorption in air?

Someone help me please?

Last edited:

What is sound?

Sound is a form of energy that is created by vibrations and travels through mediums such as air, water, and solids. It is perceived by the human ear as audible waves with different frequencies, which we interpret as different sounds.

How does sound travel?

Sound travels in waves, which move through air molecules and cause them to vibrate. These vibrations then travel to our ears and are interpreted by our brain as sound. Sound can also travel through other mediums such as water and solids.

What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is affected by several factors, including the density and temperature of the medium it is traveling through. Generally, sound travels faster through denser materials and at higher temperatures.

How does sound intensity relate to loudness?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of energy in a sound wave. Loudness, on the other hand, is the perception of sound intensity by the human ear. The higher the intensity, the louder the sound will be perceived.

What is the Doppler effect and how does it relate to sound?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a sound wave as the source or observer is in motion. This means that the perceived frequency of a sound wave will be higher if the source is moving towards the observer and lower if the source is moving away. This effect is commonly heard with passing sirens or vehicles.