How Do Sound Waves Travel Through Different Media?

In summary: After the first sound arrives, how much later do the second and third sounds arrive?The second sound arrives after 0.1047s, and the third sound arrives after 0.4373s.
candyq27

Homework Statement

An explosion occurs at the end of a pier. The sound reaches the other end of the pier by traveling through three media: air, fresh water, and a slender metal handrail. The speeds of sound in air, water, and the handrail are 343, 1482, and 5040 m/s, respectively. The sound travels a distance of 150 m in each medium.
(a) Through which medium does the sound arrive first, second, and third?

(b) After the first sound arrives, how much later do the second and third sounds arrive?

Homework Equations

v=sqrt(B/density)

The Attempt at a Solution

We just started going over waves and sound so I'm not sure how to figure out this problem.
For part (a) I figured out that the sounds arrives first at the steel handrail, then freshwater then air.
For part (b) I don't know how to figure that out. I tried just doing how many seconds it would take to travel 150m for each substance, but I don't think that's right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the problem states the speed of sound in each medium, so you can get how long it takes in each medium using,

time = distance/velocity

So first it went through the steel handrail so that is 150/5040= 0.02976s, then through the water so 150/1432= 0.1047s, then the air so 150/343=0.4373s.
So the first sound happens after 0.03s, then the second sound comes after 0.1047s, then the third sound comes after 0.4373s. Right?

I get that the third sound comes 0.41s because you have to do 0.437-0.03, but I can't figure out how to get the second sound...?

The question asks how much later do the second and third arrive as compared to the first. You have done most of the work.

Well for the second I did 0.105-0.03 and it's incorrect...?

(a) Through which medium does the sound arrive first, second, and third?
This implies that the sound travels in parallel throught the media, not through each in turn.
Otherwise it would always arrive in the last medium in the chain making the question meaningless.

What are sound waves of explosion?

Sound waves of explosion are vibrations or disturbances in the air caused by the sudden release of energy during an explosion. These waves travel through the air at the speed of sound and can be detected by our ears.

How are sound waves of explosion different from other types of sound waves?

Sound waves of explosion are characterized by their high amplitude and short duration. They also have a wider range of frequencies compared to other types of sound waves.

What factors influence the intensity of sound waves of explosion?

The intensity of sound waves of explosion can be influenced by the amount of energy released during the explosion, the distance from the explosion, and the surrounding environment.

Can sound waves of explosion cause damage to living beings?

Yes, sound waves of explosion can be harmful to living beings if the intensity is high enough. They can cause permanent hearing loss, damage to internal organs, and even death in extreme cases.

How do scientists measure sound waves of explosion?

Scientists use specialized equipment such as microphones and seismographs to measure sound waves of explosion. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to analyze and interpret the data collected.