Space-Time Interval: Exploring Questions & Equations

In summary, the equation for space time intervals is s^2 = c^2 t^2 - x^2. Different people use either +- or -+ signs for the addition, but they both result in the same equation. The equation for space time intervals is invariant under translations, and it doesn't matter which sign convention you use.
Thepolak
I have two questions about the space-time interval question.

I'm doing a little research about space time, and about space time intervals, but I'm not sure which equation to take. Some sources say that its s^2 = x^2 - c^2 t^2, other say its s^2 =c^2 t^2 - x^2. So which one do I take?

The other question is why do we subtract?

Physics news on Phys.org
The choice of +- or -+ signs is arbitrary. Different people use one or the other.

One way of understanding why there's a subtraction is that s=0 for a light ray, and the speed of light is the same for all observers.

bcrowell said:
One way of understanding why there's a subtraction is that s=0 for a light ray, and the speed of light is the same for all observers.

I still don't understand.

Thepolak said:
I still don't understand.

if you write ds2 = c2dt2-dx2 then if ds=0 ( which it is for light ) thenc2dt2 = dx2

c2 = (dx /dt)2

To add to the above, for spacetime intervals in units of time, it is customary to use the symbol Δtau, Δτ, and the interval is positive in units of time for the world line of massive objects. If the interval squared is positive in time, it is negative in space, and if positive in space, negative in time which can be confusing to anyone new at it.

Also, to be picky, your equations are not space time intervals in general, but displacements from the origin. You need to put a Δ in front of your variables, or change them to differences like x2- x1 as Mentz hinted at by using differentials.

To finally get the interval, Δτ, in special relativity, in units of time,

[tex]\Delta\tau = \sqrt{(\Delta t)^2 - \left( \frac{\Delta x}{c} \right)^2}}[/tex]

For space-like separated events,

[tex]\Delta s = \sqrt{(\Delta x)^2 - (c \Delta t)^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thepolak, we're going to have a hard time helping you unless you explain more about what you've been reading, what's confusing you, etc.

bcrowell said:
Thepolak, we're going to have a hard time helping you unless you explain more about what you've been reading, what's confusing you, etc.

I have to talk about space time intervals, and thus explaining why do we have to subtract in the equation.

Bernard Schutz's book "A First Course in General Relativity" has a couple chapters on special relativity at the beginning which are good.

If you have a light ray then in one frame with coordinates x,y,z,t you have [tex](\Delta x)^2+(\Delta y)^2+(\Delta z)^2-(c\Delta t)^2=0[/tex], nothing fancy there, the distance the photon travels is just the usual euclidean metric...BUT... all observers agree on this fact, that is, if you define [tex]\Delta s^2=(\Delta x)^2+(\Delta y)^2+(\Delta z)^2-(c\Delta t)^2[/tex] then everyone agrees when its zero.

Then you use this (we're still just playing with a postulate here) to deduce that in fact [tex]\Delta s^2[/tex] is an invariant, not just when its zero. Schutz's derivation is straightforward but a bit long to repeat here.

But it is, as mentioned above, the fact that we all agree on the speed of light. Oh and it doesn't matter which sign convention you use pick what you like...I like +--- in my metric tensor (for SR).

Last edited:
homology said:
Bernard Schutz's book "A First Course in General Relativity" has a couple chapters on special relativity at the beginning which are good.

If you have a light ray then in one frame with coordinates x,y,z,t you have [tex](\Delta x)^2+(\Delta y)^2+(\Delta z)^2-(c\Delta t)^2=0[/tex], nothing fancy there, the distance the photon travels is just the usual euclidean metric...BUT... all observers agree on this fact, that is, if you define [tex]\Delta s^2=(\Delta x)^2+(\Delta y)^2+(\Delta z)^2-(c\Delta t)^2[/tex] then everyone agrees when its zero.

Then you use this (we're still just playing with a postulate here) to deduce that in fact [tex]\Delta s^2[/tex] is an invariant, not just when its zero. Schutz's derivation is straightforward but a bit long to repeat here.

But it is, as mentioned above, the fact that we all agree on the speed of light. Oh and it doesn't matter which sign convention you use pick what you like...I like +--- in my metric tensor (for SR).

Thanks, this helps a lot!

Related to Space-Time Interval: Exploring Questions & Equations

1. What is space-time interval?

The space-time interval is a concept in physics that measures the separation between two events in space and time. It takes into account both the spatial distance and the time interval between the events, and is used to describe the relationship between them in the four-dimensional space-time continuum.

2. How is space-time interval calculated?

The space-time interval is calculated using the equation: s2 = c2t2 - x2, where s is the space-time interval, c is the speed of light, t is the time interval, and x is the spatial distance between the events.

3. What is the significance of space-time interval?

The space-time interval is significant because it is an invariant quantity, meaning it is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This allows us to understand the relationship between events in space and time without being influenced by an observer's frame of reference.

4. How does space-time interval relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is based on the concept of space-time interval. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers, and the space-time interval is a fundamental quantity that remains constant for all observers. This idea led to the development of special and general relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity.

5. Can the space-time interval be negative?

Yes, the space-time interval can be negative, zero, or positive. A negative space-time interval means that the two events are not causally connected, meaning that one event cannot affect the other. A zero space-time interval indicates that the events are simultaneous, and a positive space-time interval means that one event can causally affect the other.