Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spain Muslims Issue Fatwa Against Bin Laden

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1
    MADRID, Spain - Muslim clerics in Spain issued what they called the world's first fatwa, or Islamic edict, against Osama bin Laden on Thursday, the first anniversary of the Madrid train bombings, calling him an apostate and urging others of their faith to denounce the al-Qaida leader.

The ruling was issued by the Islamic Commission of Spain, the main body representing the country's 1 million-member Muslim community. The commission represents 200 or so mostly Sunni mosques, or about 70 percent of all mosques in Spain.

The March 11, 2004, train bombings killed 191 people and were claimed in videotapes by militants who said they had acted on al-Qaida's behalf in revenge for Spain's troop deployment in Iraq .

The commission's secretary general, Mansur Escudero, said the group had consulted with Muslim leaders in other countries, such as Morocco — home to most of the jailed suspects in the bombings — Algeria and Libya, and had their support.

"They agree," Escudero said, referring to the Muslim leaders in the three North African countries. "What I want is that they say so publicly."

The fatwa said that according to the Quran "the terrorist acts of Osama bin Laden and his organization al-Qaida ... are totally banned and must be roundly condemned as part of Islam."

It added: "Inasmuch as Osama bin Laden and his organization defend terrorism as legal and try to base it on the Quran ... they are committing the crime of 'istihlal' and thus become apostates that should not be considered Muslims or treated as such." The Arabic term 'istihlal' refers to the act of making up one's own laws.

Escudero said a fatwa can be issued by any Muslim leader who leads prayer sessions and as he serves such a role, he himself lawfully issued the edict.

He called it an unprecedented condemnation of bin Laden. "We felt now we had the responsibility and obligation to make this declaration," he said in an interview.

"I hope there is a positive reaction from Muslims," he added.

Asked if the edict meant Muslims had to help police try to arrest the world's most wanted man — who is believed to be hiding along the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan — Escudero said: "We don't get involved in police affairs but we do feel that all Muslims are obliged to ... keep anyone from doing unjustified damage to other people."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../ap/20050310/ap_on_re_eu/spain_bombings_fatwa

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2005 #2

SOS2008

Gold Member

Bush's new mantra is that democracy will eliminate terrorism. Along with recent demonstrations in Lebanon against U.S. intervention, if Islam condemns terrorism, perhaps Bush doesn't really need to police the world as much as he would like to think?

4. Mar 10, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A welcome change in attitude. We'll see if it sticks/proliferates.

5. Mar 11, 2005 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A great gesture .... I hope this progresses since this ougth to have expanded a long time ago.

6. Mar 11, 2005 #5

Evo

That's the big "if". Will the rest of the Islamic countries come forward and support this? That was a very brave thing Escudero did, you know he is marked for death now.

7. Mar 11, 2005 #6

kat

what's missing...

call me a sKeptic, but I'm always dubious about the message until i read what's between the "....."
    The media has a funny way of ignoring the "full" meaning.

8. Mar 11, 2005 #7
    They are religious scholars not judges!! If there is any Islamic authority, they can issue decisions based on the Fatwa. They have no authority to arrest or to order punishment against anybody, except to explain the point of Islam from some people and their ideas.

This Fatwa indicate that any supporter of OBL and his ideas is not considered Muslim anymore; also any Islamic country can order to arrest him based on this Fatwa.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  9. Mar 11, 2005 #8

russ_watters

Nevertheless, for a scholar to stand up and say 'Islam isn't about terrorism' is a much needed attitude change.

10. Mar 11, 2005 #9

kat

Your comment in response to my statement doesn't make any sense, so I"m going to assume that you don't understand what I meant.

Usually when a reporter quotes something or someone and breaks a sentence with "........." it means they've left some part of their statement out.

So, I"m asking what was left out of his statement. Without knowing what the reporter left out, I do not believe that I have the full truth of what he's saying.

It would be like me taking your statement above and doing this:
    "They are religious scholars not judges!! If there is any Islamic authority, they can issue decisions based on the Fatwa...............to explain the point of Islam from some people and their ideas."

Get it?

11. Mar 11, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Usually when they put the ....'s in, its for meaningless stuff. Say i go "last night i went out with my girlfriend who wore a pink dress and sandals and we were confronted by a bunch of bikers". You could change it to "last night i went out with my girlfriend.... and we were confronted by a bunch of bikers". I believe thats what its for at least... If you leave really really important words out, you get caught eventually and no one likes taking that chance (especially if its something this important).

12. Mar 11, 2005 #11
    I understand what you mean now! :wink:

The missing part , as Pengwuino mentioned , could be not important for public. This means they added many verses of Koran and evidences to prove their Fatwa.

These evidences are well known for normal Muslim and not so important for non Muslims. It just need brave person to mention it as Fatwa in public. Such Fatwa means new division in Islam … of course this could be more dangerous than we imagine, if we talk about several next generations.

This scholar is Spanish who converted to Islam, but his family originated from the ‘’Moorish’’ as many Spanish families. Moorish are mixture generations of native Spanish and Arab through 800 years.

13. Mar 11, 2005 #12
    In fact many scholars against terrorism.. more than 99% , but to say that who do it as not Muslim anymore is another thing.

14. Mar 11, 2005 #13
    Now my knowledge of the Islamic faith isn't very extensive, but isn't the Islamic faith a much more peaceful/calm (I don't really know what word fits better) religion than it seems? I haven't read the Koran, I want to, but doesn't the Koran promote peace towards people? As I said my knowledge is limited, that's why I'm asking.

15. Mar 11, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, yes it does. Not much more to say about it except "yes, it is a peaceful religion".

16. Mar 11, 2005 #15
    Since they are supposed to be a peaceful religion, why does it seem as though they are qiucker to embrace violence than other religions?

17. Mar 11, 2005 #16
    Pengwuino & misskitty

This is complex and long topic to discuss …

In fact any religion is weapon of two edges.. ..depends on how you use it.

May be Islam is more active religion and it is not practiced only inside the church or temple, it has its own ideology.

People understand it in different ways.. for example some scholars considers the democracy and human rights as part of Islam , while other reject the democracy!!

Muslims of Spain (7th century till 15 th century) were great example of tolerance and civilization. Muslims, Jews and Christian lived together in peace and created great civilization. They built many universities (e.g. Cordoba University), and encouraged philosophy, translation, Arts, music.. Women got their freedom. The same for Baghdad in 10th century, they built first hospital and first University for translations of ancient literature of other civilizations... They developed many fields in sciences..

On the other hand, we have many stories about extremists groups who murdered many leaders and innocent people. Even during crusaders wars, some groups formed ‘’Assassins Mafia’’ to kill people for fun.

It is as we call NAZI, fascism, Communism, Secularism, Humanism; Capitalism as products of western civilization … so every civilization has good and bad fruits …

Most of Islmaic world today is part of third world and they have similar troubles .....

18. Mar 11, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah all religions have their majority 'good parts' to it but theres parts that promote a little violence. The Bible speaks of violence a lot for example. Plus of course, people's actions dont necessarily reflect the actions called for by a religion. And of course, you can grossly misinterpret a religion. Some people ignorantly believe 'thou shalt not kill' means that if someones stabbing u, u better just take it when the actual hebrew commandment was 'thou shalt not murder' and in hebrew, murder was understood to mean pre-meditated.

19. Mar 11, 2005 #18
    I don't know about that, in recent times, it appears to be true, but if you look at history, wherever the Western Hemisphere colonized they used violence and force to convert the natives to Christianity, in fact I think it would be logical to say that in the time before the 1950's, there was more violence perpetrated by Christians than Muslims. I mean look at the two major world wars, who started it? Muslims, no, you know who it was. I am not a Muslim or a Christian, I believe in Siddharta Gautama's teachings, so I don't have any reason to have a biased argument (if someone accuses me of that)...

Edit: I agree with Pengwuino... It is up to individuals to decide their personal actions, so if you see that someone is doing something wrong, don't blame it on their personal religions, it's his actions or faults..

20. Mar 11, 2005 #19

russ_watters

You will be shocked by what you read, but the geopolitical situation regarding Islam will make much more sense.

21. Mar 11, 2005 #20

kat

One would expect this to be true. However, many long searches for full transcripts to see what was left out with the "...." have shown me otherwise.
    I'd like to see the full transcript and I'd also like to see some of his sermons etc. BEFORE Spain recently started to get a bit nervous about it's own radical muslim population.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?