I Special Relativity: Classic train in a tunnel paradox

• Thread starter Agalal1
  • Start date
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could set up and solve a classic train in a tunnel paradox from special relativity with unique values for multiple observers including time space diagrams. Thanks

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
That's not what PF is for. Once you've made an attempt at it we will provide help and feedback. But we aren't here to do your work for you.

That's not what PF is for. Once you've made an attempt at it we will provide help and feedback. But we aren't here to do your work for you.
well i was hoping for different examples i can learn from, would be great if anyone can link me a pdf or a book with examples and answers with space time diagrams

PeroK

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
well i was hoping for different examples i can learn from, would be great if anyone can link me a pdf or a book with examples and answers with space time diagrams
You'd be better to post what level your physics and maths are and how you are currently learning SR. There are lots of text books out there and many threads of recommendations on here.

classic train in a tunnel paradox from special relativity
Which is not an "A" level question. Thread level changed to "I".

jtbell

Mentor
classic train in a tunnel paradox
You might also try searching via e.g. Google for "barn and pole paradox." I would be surprised if this does not find some numeric examples.

Nugatory

Mentor
If you choose to measure distances in light-seconds and time in seconds the speed of light will come out to be 1. Now you can take the speed of the train to be ##\frac{4}{5}=.8## so the ##\gamma## factor will come out ##\frac{5}{3}## and the length of the train to be one light-second.

With these numeric values you'll find that the arithmetic comes out to be really easy.