Special Relativity - time paradox question, not sure if it's right

In summary, two clocks are synchronised on the equator. The clock that is travelling around the Earth goes faster than the clock that is stationary, but when the travelling clock returns to the lab, the time registered is the same. This suggests that there is no time difference between the clocks when they are stationary.
daleklama

Homework Statement

2 identical clocks are synchronised in a lab on the equator. One clock is carried around the equator in 24 hours at a constant speed. Given that the radius of the Earth is 6.4 x 10 ^ 6 m, find the difference between the times registered by 2 clocks when the traveling clock returns to the lab.

Homework Equations

t' = t / γ

γ = 1 / (√(1 - v^2 / c^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the circumference of the Earth using c = 2 pi r
Found the circumference of the Earth to be 40212385 m.

The clock takes 24 hours to go around - 86400 seconds

so the speed the clock goes around the Earth at is distance / time = circumference / time = 465 m/s.

I used the gamma equation to find the Lorentz factor

γ = 1 / (√(1 - v^2 / c^2)) = 1.
(the v = 465 m/s was too small to impact the equation?)

So then, subbing my Lorentz factor into the time dilation formula t' = t/y
t' = t/1 = t, so there's no time difference?

That doesn't sound right at all, I've done something stupid, if anyone can correct me that would be great :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Use more figures in your gamma factor, I got Y=1.000001205095829, then used t' = t/y = 86400/1.000001205095829 = 86399.90 seconds, so the difference should be about 0.1 seconds, seems correct because Y is so close to 1.

daleklama said:

Homework Statement

2 identical clocks are synchronised in a lab on the equator. One clock is carried around the equator in 24 hours at a constant speed. Given that the radius of the Earth is 6.4 x 10 ^ 6 m, find the difference between the times registered by 2 clocks when the traveling clock returns to the lab.

Homework Equations

t' = t / γ

γ = 1 / (√(1 - v^2 / c^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the circumference of the Earth using c = 2 pi r
Found the circumference of the Earth to be 40212385 m.

The clock takes 24 hours to go around - 86400 seconds

so the speed the clock goes around the Earth at is distance / time = circumference / time = 465 m/s.

I used the gamma equation to find the Lorentz factor

γ = 1 / (√(1 - v^2 / c^2)) = 1.
(the v = 465 m/s was too small to impact the equation?)

So then, subbing my Lorentz factor into the time dilation formula t' = t/y
t' = t/1 = t, so there's no time difference?

That doesn't sound right at all, I've done something stupid, if anyone can correct me that would be great :)
As it's the difference between 1 and 1-v2/c2 that matters, even a small v does impact on the equation - γ is close to 1, but different from 1.

Thus, either solve as baddin suggested*, or solve as Einstein did in 1905 - he did not have a pocket calculator! Derive an approximate equation for the difference (easy math, simplify 1/√(1-x2) for x<<1). See the second half of §4 of http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

*PS: I get a much smaller result both ways

Last edited:
Thanks both!

My calculator doesn't show enough figures to give me a non-1 answer, so I'm going to do it the way harrylin suggested, cheers :)

Your attempt at solving the problem is correct, but there is a small mistake in your calculation. The Lorentz factor should be calculated using the velocity of the clock relative to the speed of light, not the speed of the clock relative to the circumference of the Earth. The correct Lorentz factor is actually very close to 1 (approximately 1.000000000000000000014), so your final calculation of t' = t/1 is almost correct. However, due to the extremely high precision required for these calculations, there will still be a very small difference in the times registered by the two clocks. This difference, while negligible, is a result of the time dilation effect predicted by special relativity.

Related to Special Relativity - time paradox question, not sure if it's right

1. What is the basis of Special Relativity?

The basis of Special Relativity is the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that there is no preferred frame of reference and the laws of physics should hold true regardless of an observer's velocity.

2. What is the time dilation effect in Special Relativity?

The time dilation effect in Special Relativity refers to the fact that time appears to run slower for objects that are moving at high speeds compared to those at rest. This effect is a consequence of the speed of light being constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. What is the "twin paradox" in Special Relativity?

The "twin paradox" is a thought experiment in which one twin travels at high speeds in a spaceship while the other twin stays on Earth. According to Special Relativity, the traveling twin will experience time dilation and will age slower than the twin on Earth. This leads to a paradox where the traveling twin may end up being younger than the twin who stayed on Earth, even though they were born at the same time.

4. Can time travel be achieved using Special Relativity?

Special Relativity does not allow for time travel in the traditional sense. While it does predict that time can appear to run slower for objects in motion, it does not allow for traveling back in time or changing the past. Time travel in this sense would require the existence of closed timelike curves, which are not allowed in Special Relativity.

5. How does Special Relativity relate to space and time being relative?

Special Relativity states that the measurements of space and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that different observers may measure different values for the same event, depending on their relative motion. This concept is often referred to as "Einstein's theory of relativity".