1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity - time paradox question, not sure if it's right!

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2 identical clocks are synchronised in a lab on the equator. One clock is carried around the equator in 24 hours at a constant speed. Given that the radius of the Earth is 6.4 x 10 ^ 6 m, find the difference between the times registered by 2 clocks when the travelling clock returns to the lab.

2. Relevant equations

t' = t / γ

γ = 1 / (√(1 - v^2 / c^2))

3. The attempt at a solution

First I found the circumference of the Earth using c = 2 pi r
    Found the circumference of the Earth to be 40212385 m.

The clock takes 24 hours to go around - 86400 seconds

so the speed the clock goes around the earth at is distance / time = circumference / time = 465 m/s.

I used the gamma equation to find the Lorentz factor

γ = 1 / (√(1 - v^2 / c^2)) = 1.
    (the v = 465 m/s was too small to impact the equation?)

So then, subbing my Lorentz factor into the time dilation formula t' = t/y
    t' = t/1 = t, so there's no time difference?

That doesn't sound right at all, I've done something stupid, if anyone can correct me that would be great :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2
    Use more figures in your gamma factor, I got Y=1.000001205095829, then used t' = t/y = 86400/1.000001205095829 = 86399.90 seconds, so the difference should be about 0.1 seconds, seems correct because Y is so close to 1.

4. Jul 31, 2013 #3
    As it's the difference between 1 and 1-v2/c2 that matters, even a small v does impact on the equation - γ is close to 1, but different from 1.

Thus, either solve as baddin suggested*, or solve as Einstein did in 1905 - he did not have a pocket calculator! Derive an approximate equation for the difference (easy math, simplify 1/√(1-x2) for x<<1). See the second half of §4 of http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/

*PS: I get a much smaller result both ways

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. Jul 31, 2013 #4
    Thanks both!

My calculator doesn't show enough figures to give me a non-1 answer, so I'm going to do it the way harrylin suggested, cheers :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted